Needing advice on what to do for money.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I paid my cousin $75 a month to come in and move things around, (to her liking) and clean and dust all rooms except my own. I wanted to help her out. She only worked a total of about two hours but boy did I love the job she did. It saved me a weekend of cleaning because it's so easy to get distracted when you are cleaning your own mess. She makes a lot of money doing houses and offices. She lives in a big town but when she used to come visit her mother who lives in my town she would work for me for the extra gas money etc.

I had to stop letting her clean because she accidently broke my t.v. and I worked really hard to get it.

She was licensed and bonded but I didn't want to do that to her. (she's my family)

Anyway, there are ups and downs to the cleaning business but if you really want something to do to make extra cash this is a really good way to get it.

By the way, I have a sister who takes her two year old to a babysitter and she drives a total of eight miles out of her way because the sitter is great and she works nights.

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
So how do you get bonded/insured and are they the same thing?
To get bonded I had to go to the police dpt and have a background check done. This costs 100.00 in my area. To be insured you just call your local ins. co. I use farm bureau who insures my car. It's 120.00 every 3 months. It's worth it. ;)

makerofstuff

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Lots of good ideas in here. I didn't know the bonding and insurance process thanks for that information. My DS and I are thinking of doing cooking for hire. We are still researching that one.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
makerofstuff

what kind of cooking for hire? just curious....more like catering parties? My cousin did that type of work and WOW it was intense...she moved fast and furious...but she loved doing it and did well in that career.

captchris

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
tx my job alowed my wife to stay at home and raise our children. looking back now the reward was more than she would have gotten from any job. be patient once the kidds went off to school she got a job that she was well paid for and very satisied.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I know a house cleaner that lost a lot of clients in the last 6 months. She ended up getting a job at Big Lots. I also have a friend who got a job doing customer service calls at home on her computer. So far so good.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Depending on your area, there may be some factories who have "parent with kids" shifts.

One of my friends in Texas used to do sit-down-assembly of small parts from 9 to 2, Mon to Fri. Her daughter got the bus to school at 8:40 and the bus dropped her home at 3, so it was perfect for her. It didn't pay much, but it did give her some "house" money... she bought herself a new washing machine.

If you are active in a church, put the word out that you are willing to clean houses, babysit, garden, and/or prepare meals. You might be surprised at how many want help but don't know who to ask; or would love to have the help of someone they know.

Sign up at the local school as a paid tutor or put an add at all the bulletin boards in town that you are willing to help tutor children.

Naturally, the amount money you receive at any independent job will greatly depend on the local economics.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
makerofstuff

what kind of cooking for hire? just curious....more like catering parties? My cousin did that type of work and WOW it was intense...she moved fast and furious...but she loved doing it and did well in that career.
I was in catering too, except that I owned the company and 9/11 killed us. We did only corporate events and companies just flat out stopped spending money on frivolous things like parties.

I would guess that coking for hire is more like personal cheffing...you go into a clients home and prepare meals of their choosing (while they are at work) and then you stock it all in the fridge and freezer leaving detailed instructions on how to warm the food and assemble the dishes.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dace
my SIL bought food prepared by a chef person. delivered to her home...and she choose off a wonderful list of meals. BUT the price was to die for, BUT her and my brother made fab money and it was worth this price to continue to make tons of money so they could retire early....which they did, in their 40s.

So in the right circumstance, this prepared meals is a great deal to help!

It is smart to know your strengths and your weakness and then adapt to fill that niche. Buying meals (and nutritious at that) was the way to go for them!

AND she said her chef was swamped beyond their means almost. So you know it was a great business for that person.

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband, a good friend and I have all been able to find work to do from home at www.elance.com and www.guru.com. You can start off with a free account and see if you like it before deciding to pay, so you're not out any money just to try.