New Appliances...the devil incarnate!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, enjoy the ride. Everything needs so much repair these days and it is not cheap!

I will be looking at purchasing appliances next year if we get that house built I want a stove without push button anything. Just gas knobs. NO clock, no timers, no digital panel. We have an oven like that rith now and I have had to replace the control panel two times so far. Fortunately it was insured. First time by the new warrantly. When the panel failed one month before warrantly expiration I figured I better purchase aother warranty. Good thing I did! The second panel failed also! and just a couple of weeks before that warranty passed...so now I have purchased another warranty. It costs less than paying for the repair, which they said would have been about $550!!! I am soooo mad about this!

Anybody know where to get these type of appliances with NO new fangled bells and whistles? Been looking at washers and dryers also and they are equally as scary, but I don't want an old kenmore hand wringer either.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hard to get just the "standard old time" functions like we used to have available.

Now the "standard" is upgraded cause we demand more fancy technology and more bells with our "stuff".

Like a car doesn't come wtihout AC anymore...or super rare to find one offered without that in the package.

Sears has good appliances I think...maybe they have a basic model for you.

My element died on my oven...$80 to replace that element...while cheaper than a new unit, geeeezzz....$80 seemed high for that chunk of element...LOL

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not at Lowes. Nor Home Depot. I thought there might be some odd ball company out there that makes functional frilless appliances somebody might know about.

Reaction score
We picked up a set of Admiral washer and dryer. The washer has a double spin and has a spiral agitator. The dryer is real basic. Have had for 3 years and still work great. They might have a basic gas range too. It's ridiculous what the control panels cost. I was talking to an appliance repair guy and he said lightning will fry all the stuff. He told me about a high dollar Maytag side by side that had a 1500 dollar control panel and was on national back order for 3 months. The people had to rent a refrigerator. We get extended warranties on all major appliances. So far it has paid off. The only thing we didn't get a warranty on was the washer dryer pair. The dryer was 199.00 and the washer was 249.00. When the washer goes out I'll make it into a chicken plucker.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some beautiful things at Lehman...but get a load of the the prices!
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/pro...CT&iMainCat=1019&iSubCat=1020&iProductID=6800

and this one is a beauty but I could replace 3 or 4 digital panels and still be out on top with this one:
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/pro...DUCT&iMainCat=811&iSubCat=812&iProductID=7110

The agas look beautiful too but again so expensive and large, I don't need 6 burners!

Maybe the way to go is Like Big Daddy did. Buy inexpensive appliances, hope they last 4 years, then turn them into planters!

Gotta Keep looking.....

Reaction score
We have 6 kids living in the house plus 2 adults. DW runs 3 to 4 loads every day. The more expensive appliances aren't made any better till you get to the real expensive stuff. One thing to pass on that the appliance guy told me. Our dryer all the sudden quit drying. I took it apart and found excessive lint inside that had gotten by the filter. I cleaned the exhaust hose real well. Still didn't work and I couldn't find anything else. Called the repair guy. He disconnected the exhaust hose and measured the output heat. Said it was 10 deg above median range and there was nothing wrong with the dryer. The pipe going outside was plugged. My house has a 20' run to the outside with 2 bends. I blew it out with my shop vac/leaf blower and it still works great. Repair guy says there's a lot of people get plugged up and buy a new dryer then wonder why it doesn't work either. Then they're stuck with 2 dryers.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
We have 6 kids living in the house plus 2 adults. DW runs 3 to 4 loads every day. The more expensive appliances aren't made any better till you get to the real expensive stuff. One thing to pass on that the appliance guy told me. Our dryer all the sudden quit drying. I took it apart and found excessive lint inside that had gotten by the filter. I cleaned the exhaust hose real well. Still didn't work and I couldn't find anything else. Called the repair guy. He disconnected the exhaust hose and measured the output heat. Said it was 10 deg above median range and there was nothing wrong with the dryer. The pipe going outside was plugged. My house has a 20' run to the outside with 2 bends. I blew it out with my shop vac/leaf blower and it still works great. Repair guy says there's a lot of people get plugged up and buy a new dryer then wonder why it doesn't work either. Then they're stuck with 2 dryers.
Wow, I didn't know that a dryer would push the air 20'. Anyway, sounds like you got things going again. Way to go! :clap