New Appliances...the devil incarnate!

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you have the extra cash to spend, Vikings is a good name brand to have! I wish for one!

Reaction score
Tallman said:
Big Daddy said:
We have 6 kids living in the house plus 2 adults. DW runs 3 to 4 loads every day. The more expensive appliances aren't made any better till you get to the real expensive stuff. One thing to pass on that the appliance guy told me. Our dryer all the sudden quit drying. I took it apart and found excessive lint inside that had gotten by the filter. I cleaned the exhaust hose real well. Still didn't work and I couldn't find anything else. Called the repair guy. He disconnected the exhaust hose and measured the output heat. Said it was 10 deg above median range and there was nothing wrong with the dryer. The pipe going outside was plugged. My house has a 20' run to the outside with 2 bends. I blew it out with my shop vac/leaf blower and it still works great. Repair guy says there's a lot of people get plugged up and buy a new dryer then wonder why it doesn't work either. Then they're stuck with 2 dryers.
Wow, I didn't know that a dryer would push the air 20'. Anyway, sounds like you got things going again. Way to go! :clap
It's actually about 23'. The repair guy said that they put in helper fans when it gets to 25'. I am going to reroute it so it has 1 bend and goes about 15'. Sometimes people that build house don't think things through.

Reaction score
That's pretty basic. The BTU is pretty low though on the top burners.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After looking at the websites you guys provided I got some search ideas
and found this stuff. Not much bells and whistles, seems like the less you
get the more it costs!

Anybody know anything about these brands?
I like convection, but no bells and whistles that I can see anyway.
More than I wanted to spend but if there are no bells and whistles to break I may not need to purchase those warranties. Guess you just pay for a good oven and not for the repair game.

http://www.us-appliance.com/ttfist24lipr1.html

http://www.us-appliance.com/p3th30prallg.html

http://www.us-appliance.com/zdp304lpss.html

The basic white Lowes reminds me of appartment living, guess its the 24 inch thing. I think I like a 30 inch. I forgot to mention that we will be using propane and that makes things cost more as I am finding out.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the links! Who really needs all the buttons and clocks anyway? I never use the built-in timer on mine, I have a battery operated timer that I put in my pocket so that I will always hear it.

All the retro ones remind me of my grandma's kitchen. She has a newer electric stove, and an old fashioned wood stove/oven also! I like the idea of good quality, and basic, 'cause that should last a long time. For example, my sewing machine. It's an old Bernina (was also my grandma's) and it does better than brand new machines!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
anybody know if it is possible to convert a natural gas stove to a propane burning stove? My Dh seemed to think that it might just require changing a valve but he wasn't sure.

Reaction score
Mackay said:
anybody know if it is possible to convert a natural gas stove to a propane burning stove? My Dh seemed to think that it might just require changing a valve but he wasn't sure.
You have to change the gas jets. It's real easy. Most gas stoves come with both types. Each burner has a jet in the center when you pull the plate off where the flame comes out. If you don't have an extra set with your stove you can pull the jets (If you do be sure to identify where they came from. Usually different burners have different jets for BTU ratings.) Takle the jets to an appliance store and tell them what you are doing and they can tell you what size you need to switch too.