New budget

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What all goes into gumbo that makes it different than soup? (honest question here)

Roux and gravy are different. Roux is browned more than gravy base. I call it "just before it burns." And how do you know just before it burns? Easy-burn a batch and next time you'll know. Gravy, even brown gravy is not that dark. Usually brown gravy is meat based from pan drippings, roux is not, just flour and oil.

Oil or bacon grease melted in a heavy iron skillet and flour added to make it thick, but not too thick. Medium high heat, stir and stir and stir. Smoke rising, and just before it burns, add water to make the roux. Put in a big pot, add more water to thin it down. The "soup" will have a real dark color.

I make a lot of smoke when I cook........ :idunno

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Marianne, I used to be able to do that. Then, they closed some of the stores in the area, so it no longer worked.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I try to do that too. :) Our stores are clustered pretty tightly so gas between them is minimal. I used to get bread at WalMart (save $1.49/loaf), butter at gas station (save $1 - $3/pound), canned goods at Aldi (save $0.50/can).

Well we make our own bread now. And I have NO PATIENCE for Aldi! The last few times I've gone in, the lines were ridiculous. I put down my stuff and left! Just stopped going, it wasn't worth it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Went through the pantry yesterday and the freezer today. Trying to eat down what we have. Found some oldies but still goodies.

Also discovered some "on sale" purchases. :rolleyes: tubs of frozen cookie dough. 2 boxes of frozen waffles. more frozen pizzas than you could shake a stick at.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been living on a household/gas budget of $800 for years now. When I find a good sale on something we use, I buy as much as I can afford at the time. If it isn't shelf stable and I don't have room in the freezer I either dehydrate it or can it. Even in off season like now, whole frozen turkeys are among the cheapest meats available. I thaw it just enough to be able to cut off the drumsticks and wings and cook them for use in a couple of dinners, and either debone the carcass and can the meat as dice or ground, or sometimes I boil it and canned the pulled meat. I can the extra stock from that too, for soups, beans, etc. I only go shopping once a week (every two weeks if my garden is giving me enough produce). If I don't have enough beef for a recipe, I will substitute pork or turkey rather than buy the beef at regular prices.
I also try to cook EVERYTHING from scratch. If you are buying frozen cookie dough, you are paying for someone else's labor; yours is free.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Britesea :frow I remember you saying that you lived pretty frugally and you live well, I imagine. Last year I was trying to get our food expenses down to $100 a month. I got close, but never could quite do it. Deb, were you feeding more than two on that budget? I make almost everything from scratch too, buy on sale, etc.

I have found that eating more vegetarian is a lot cheaper. But we eat pretty simply, too. I don't need wine to cook with or weird veggies that are imported.
Tortoise, you might be able to eat on your reserve for a long time. Pizza can be jazzed up in many different ways.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Roux and gravy are different. Roux is browned more than gravy base. I call it "just before it burns." And how do you know just before it burns? Easy-burn a batch and next time you'll know. Gravy, even brown gravy is not that dark. Usually brown gravy is meat based from pan drippings, roux is not, just flour and oil.

Oil or bacon grease melted in a heavy iron skillet and flour added to make it thick, but not too thick. Medium high heat, stir and stir and stir. Smoke rising, and just before it burns, add water to make the roux. Put in a big pot, add more water to thin it down. The "soup" will have a real dark color.

I make a lot of smoke when I cook........ :idunno
Well, dang, I have made true roux a few times then! cough cough, not that I was trying to, ya know? :\

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Marianne, when I said about being able to do that, I was talking about going to several different stores in one area. I don't recall what my food budget was when the kids were little, but I know I spent less per person each week than people we knew on food stamps.

Suzannah

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
CROCKPOT...if you don't have one you can find one at the nearest secondhand store for just a few dollars. Throw in ground meat (turkey, chicken, pork or beef) with a couple of cans of beans and some seasoning and you've got lots of chili. A crockpot is a handy way to make pulled pork as well - get a porkroast, add a seasoning packet ($1), ketchup, apple cidar vinegar and brown sugar. Makes enough for several meals. A crockpot is also very handy for making chicken salad: drop boneless, skinless chicken breasts (fresh or frozen) in it and add a 1/2 cup of water or broth and cook on high for 4 hours or on low all day. Take the breasts out and shred with two forks (like you would the pulled pork mentioned above) than add your favorite seasonings (mayonnaise, garlic powder, pepper, mustard), stir and stash in refrigerator - makes enough for several meals (eat it alone, on a sandwich or top a salad with it). And a crock pot makes a good pot of soup out of just about anything you throw in it.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on the new place.

We did a little survey a while back and concluded that 100 $/mo per person was possible for food. Can't find it... haven't mastered the new forum software yet. Anyway, 300 $/mo on food should be possible.

There's no perfect recipe or trick that will make your grocery bill small. Just eat a variety of foods. Cook every day so you have a constant supply of prepared food and nothing has a chance to go bad. Don't buy anything that's prepared ahead. I add up the amounts as I shop and I started out using only cash.

Latest posts