New budget

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know this thread is super old... But I am so happy I found it! And @baymule you need to write a homesteader's cookbook. Such great ideas! I can't wait to try some of this stuff. I'll have 35 chickens and a pig, probably 2 in the freezer this winter. Oh and 4 or so turkeys and hopefully a deer or two. So my meat bill is covered (as in I've been paying to feed them all summer!) and I want to eat all winter for next to nothing!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well thank you @NH Homesteader I have been cooking for a lot of years, usually holding down a job, raising kids and the regular things working Moms do. I guess I learned how to really stretch a dollar, LOL. You are way out in front of me when I was your age. You will soon have a freezer stuffed with your own home raised meat! :thumbsup

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Did I mention every year I start with high hopes for a low budget! This year is no different. I'm proud of my results for the last fiscal month. Keeping going past January keeps getting more and more difficult!

I found a new-to-me recipe to share.

I end up with a lot of crusty chunks of homemade bread - more than I can use up as breadcrumb. I'm avoiding buying fresh veggies in winter, but I have plenty of dehydrated veggies that I have a hard time finding uses for.

I found a "strata" casserole recipe. Simplified so you can apply it to whatever leftovers you tend to have.

Cubed stale bread to fill a casserole dish 2/3 full.
Leftover cooked meat
Grated/diced fresh veggies, or rehydrated veggies
^^^mix and dump into untreated casserole dish

I used 2 grated carrots, about 1 cup chopped dehydrated tomato slices, and a handful of dehydrated kale (before I ground it into powder). I used ground mutton for meat. S

mix egg and milk (or broth?) and pour over. I used 6 eggs and 1-1/2 cup milk for 9x13 pan. Also 1/2 stick melted butter. Add seasonings to the liquid. I used 1/2 t onion powder, 1/2 t salt. I'll probably use bacon fat for part or all next time.

cover, refrigerate "overnight"
bake 350, about an hour

My bread was very dry, so I poured extra milk over it during the "overnight" part of the recipe.

The top half was fabulously crusty, the bottom was like a savory bread pudding. Kids and I liked it a lot, hubby says it's tolerable. I'll be making it about every other week to use up our bread heels! Yum! ❤

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use stale bread to make bread pudding -- ESPECIALLY when I have a glut of eggs & goat milk in Spring. So this idea of veggies instead is good. I would "think" of it as a dressing with veggies & put the spices in along that line....maybe some cheese on top.
For you, maybe a little less liquid would please DH more. Maybe throw some rice in, to help absorb liquids.

I LOVE to use leftovers & not waste. Of course, my chickens do get some of them. But, helps with feed bills so that's ok. Generally they get what's left from my "makeovers" of leftovers. :p

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to use the formula for the universal casserole from the "Tightwad Gazette". It is very versatile and inexpensive since you can use whatever ingredients you have on hand.

1 cup main ingredient
1 cup second ingredient
1-2 cups starchy ingredient
1 1/2 cup binder
1/4 cup goodie
seasoning
topping
Main ingredient is something like meat or seafood.
Second ingredient is a complimentary vegetable.
Starch ingredient is of course pasta, rice, potatoes, even beans.
Binder could be can soup, leftover gravy, cream cheese, sour cream.
"Goodie" is expensive type things like pimento, nuts, olives, cheese
Toppings can be crushed crackers, bread crumbs, cheese, crushed chips, etc.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Time to 'fess up. I maintained variable expenses under $400/month for 3 months until my illness flared up. When that happens I can't stand up long enough to cook, I can only grocery shop sporadically, and the biggest one is I can't prep things in advance, like making snacks for a day trip - it would use all my "spoons" and I wouldn't be able to go.

I've given myself amnesty from my super frugal budget for 2 months, and this is the second month. I had a good day yesterday and hope they keep coming. I hate spending money on things I could make myself... if only I could.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your health troubles. I have migraines so I'm sometimes in the same predicament, though it's typically more short lived. I do try to stock up on food in the freezer (homemade soups, etc) but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

I hope you continue to feel better! (also I love the spoon reference, you made my day that you know about that too!)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you've been feeling unwell :hugs