New chapter for SS - Suggestions welcome!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Jotting down thoughts…

Skills and tutorials?

@Beekissed funny I was thinking the same thing when I typed my post above. A few sub-sections for poultry, goats, sheep etc would be nice.

I agree with the "Roll your own" section lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I went and looked at the Miscellaneous section now and the general lay-out… We need to do some reshuffling and reorganising I think… And add a subsection or two as well. Prioritise the sections in order from most active on top to least active at the bottom perhaps….

I'm thinking out loud now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This is a wonderful idea! I have a 10yo myself who loves "helping" and did grow up on a small farm. It's the best way IMO to raise kids :)

This is on the list then, along with dividing the livestock section up.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plus a lot of the homeschooling stuff can go here under a different title. Do a cool experiment? Want to talk about chores? All of that works for both. It won't stop homeschooling conversations but really there are what, two of us homeschooling at the moment? Lol

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
We will fit you in brother, your past experience is worth sticking around to help newbies and keep the dream alive in you! Same with me...I have tomatoes and peppers lol...but I have a lot of experience with other things as well. Stick around!
I am not worried about me fitting in or staying around, just saying it might be intimidating to someone browsing the site

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Maybe a simple living in small spaces section? An emphasis on doing what you can to make small steps towards being self sufficient/living better? It could discuss indoor gardening, buying from local farmers, etc. Things anyone can do, even in the city!
This.yes.
Like what you can do to live not only frugally, but healthily.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
@BarredBuff if you have any suggestions for changes this is the place to post them. Some have already been made.

I just spent a few moments glancing through the suggestions. I am in favor of a name change. I always thought it was a tad misleading, but that was more of a philosophical thing. We need something catchy, and something that accurately represents the goals, and mission of this place and its participants.

So, if I may ask, what does everyone want from a place like this? I think if we (lurkers, new members, and old fogies alike) can answer this question then we can figure out a name that is better suited while providing a little direction in building this community.

So, here is my answer to the question...

1. This place has always been more about the purpose, and ideology behind something. THEN applying it to the projects we had or tried. That's why I advocated for a gardening and livestock section way back when. The folks that are here, answer questions and provide discussion that is guided by a shared ideology. Some of the big themes I have always seen here is: freedom, DIY, and thriftiness. So, I want this forum to attract people who share those same perspectives.

2. Community has been a real thing here. In a way that you think wouldn't be possible with an Internet forum. I credit that to the journal section where you basically share your life with the folks here. So, we need to rebuild that sense of community, and I think we do that by sharing that again.

3. Finally, I think another big strength/want of a member is the help. I can remember back in the day when I was more active on the homestead, and was green as a June apple, I got advice and guidance here. Countless folks, helped me figure out how to deal with a broody hen, use a pressure canner, etc. This also helps engages the folks who are dreaming for this, and (for me) helps those who don't get to partake as much anymore. We need to get back to promoting those discussions.

I hope this will help spur some good discussion on building a great community here!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll go ahead and list my previously mentioned ideas here and a few I hadn't mentioned:

1. New forum name that more accurately describes the activities discussed on the forum. I like Moonshadow's suggestion of Back to Basics...used to be a book by that name back in the 80s put out by Reader's Digest. I picked one up at a yard sale a few years back and it now resides in my bathroom for reading material. Excellent homestead guide with TONS of instructional stuff for almost all aspects of homesteading. Having a poll or contest to decide on a new name was also mentioned by Moon, which is a great idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-...494090828&sr=8-1&keywords=book+back+to+basics
https://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-...494090828&sr=8-1&keywords=book+back+to+basics
2. Picture galleries beside the posts in each thread, like they have on BYC.
3. More forum headings, more specific headings or subheadings.
4. A video library for the individual forums where people can post learning vids about that topic, their own or those they find.
5. Invite resident go-to people on the sister sites who have experience and good knowledge of different animals, gardening, skills etc. to monitor those forums here so that people can get a quick answer to questions when they ask them or, if you have those people here, ask them to pay special attention to new posts in those forum headings so people can get a quicker answer when they post questions....new members tend to not wait around too long before they take their questions to a more quickly moving site where they can get a faster answer.

6. Careful moderation to avoid the mistakes of the past, if possible.