New chapter for SS - Suggestions welcome!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Simple Living is taken but Basic Living is not, but doesn't have the same appeal. A Simple Life isn't taken and I like the ring of it, also the meaning of it....far reaching and deeper than self sufficiency, by far.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I started my own blog a few months ago and found a lot of domain names are taken, but doesn't have a site attached to it, so you can google the chosen name and get no results, but when you try and make it a name for your site, find it's unavailable, or for sale at a ridiculous sum (some go for $5,000)

Changing this site's name would throw out all sorts of issues for us, with SEO and some other issues, but if we can find a really good name that is available, we can look into it. :)

What I am thinking off at the moment is a request that came up with regards to more forum sections and subsections. That is something we can definitely do, so long as we have enough topics to populate them with immediately. It's kinda spooky when you go into a section and there is nothing there! When we added the beekeeping section and the fencing section on BYH we found a bunch of threads to get in there, so that was lovely. What do you all think would be nice additions here?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think a "skills" section should be included....seems a lot of people want to learn certain homesteading skills nowadays, but we have no specific place to place those.

I'd also like to see the homesteading animals have some subforums...when I want to talk about chickens, I don't want to have a thread get lost in the bigger forum of livestock on the homestead. When I asked about that years ago I was told I could talk about chickens over on BYC. :rolleyes: Same with other specific livestock...was told to go to BYHs. Same with specifics on gardening....head on over to TEG. If we are to be a diverse but distinct forum, we'll need to have categories on these things here and fill them appropriately, develop an actual identity.

I'd also like to see us have a place on our own profiles where we can find threads we've started...."your content" is so vague and one has to search it for hours to find an old thread.

The "Roll your own" forum heading could sure use a new title...sounds like we've got a bunch of smokers here. ;)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Jotting down thoughts…

Skills and tutorials?

@Beekissed funny I was thinking the same thing when I typed my post above. A few sub-sections for poultry, goats, sheep etc would be nice.

I agree with the "Roll your own" section lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
X2 on the roll your own title. That always made me go... Huh?

The forum list has a big section for making and saving energy, which isn't probably talked about as much as other topics... And then all the big things we talk about go under miscellaneous. Maybe change the emphasis there?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oops I should have finished typing my thoughts.

Agree totally on having a section for each animal. I for one am am not the type to join BYC for one question about a chicken. A forum is a community and if many people here are raising chickens we should be able to talk chicken!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I went and looked at the Miscellaneous section now and the general lay-out… We need to do some reshuffling and reorganising I think… And add a subsection or two as well. Prioritise the sections in order from most active on top to least active at the bottom perhaps….

I'm thinking out loud now.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Guess maybe we should check copyrights, and also see if there is a forum/site with that name already also when we make suggestions. It's going to be difficult to appropriately rename this place I think.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I like the idea of a Skills forum where people can ask questions about things they want to learn. Or even to find things that they might be interested in learning but didn't want to ask. And, please change the Roll Your Own name, LOL!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Changing this site's name would throw out all sorts of issues for us, with SEO and some other issues, but if we can find a really good name that is available, we can look into it. :)

If you were to do a URL and or name change, you could always do a 301 redirect . I wouldn't worry to much about SEO; it will catch up. Another thing you could do is keep the URL and the name, but amend the header title to read something like "Simple Living at Sufficient Self".