New England

Seahound

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I hear ya, although if I lived on the Cape it would be dangerous, I would find some way to hopping that ferry over to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. I love it there.
We love the vineyard too. I go a few times a summer on our boat. We havent done much boating this year though with all the gas prices etc, I have ton of pics.....Maybe i can post some for you sometime

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
the simple life said:
If thats as close to Nantucket as you've gotten you need to take a little road/ferry trip.
You don't know what your missing.
No, the closest I have been is Cape Cod. I know about it.

Seahound

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Nantucket and the Vineyard are awesome.We like to go after Laborday so the crowds arent so bad. It sure is a great place to visit.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Seahound said:
Nantucket and the Vineyard are awesome.We like to go after Laborday so the crowds arent so bad. It sure is a great place to visit.
My cousin was going tgo get married on the vineyard but, not to close to VT.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
ahh, but the islands somewhat different than the cape. Very laid back, quaint.
I have spent alot of time on the cape since my husband is from there, but not enough time on the islands.
Your are right about the crowds though, Seahound, those can be a pain at the height of summer.
I met Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke there at the carousel last time I was at the Vineyard, shows you how long its been since I could get over there.
I was watching my kids on that old carousel and she started talking to me, asking if that was my daughter who caught the golden ring as she went by on a horse.
I didn't realize who she was at first and we were chatting about our kids when I noticed her husband jumping up and down on the horse trying to act like a cowboy and she said Ethan was acting like a little kid. Then a few people started crowding around to take pictures.
I felt a little bad for them after that since they wanted to just spend time with their kids.
Usually famous people can spend time on the islands without anyone caring.Its probably the tourists who get excited about it more than the people who live there.
Now, the more I think of this the more I think I should go check the ferry schedules:)
I am only like 45 minutes from Woodshole.
Do you take the ferry from Woodshole or the other port?

Seahound

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We actually take our own boat over. Its a 20' Center Console 1972 SeaCraft. A fishing boat thats an old classic nothing Island-ish or Ritzy like. She's a beauty for sure though.
We are only able to go over when weather permits seeing how small the boat is.
It cant handle the large swells or high winds that create high seas.
We drive from here to Mashpee and put the boat in the water there. Its a 15 minute ride across to Vineyard Haven. We either anchor the boat or pay for a public Mooring.

We havent gone at all this year and rarely use the boat in comparison to previous summers.
With the whole economy, gas situation, & price of heating oil we arent as frivelous as we used to be.

We took the ferry over to Nantucket 2 years ago. Thats fun !!

Have you been to Cuttyhunk??

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I love mashpee, great place.
I haven't been to cuttyhunk yet, do you get over there much?
That is awesome that you can take your own boat over to the island, its understandable not using it as much with the the gas prices now though.
I wonder if the ferry went up in price due to the gas, its affecting everything.
I couldn't believe how much the bed and breakfast inns are renting rooms for over on the islands now.