New guy

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm here only for the trophy points -:lol but seriously... I don't want to be rude so I'll "introduce myself". My wife and I have been married going on 32 thousand years (seems that long anyways). We had 7 children of our own, and adopted 2 more then also kind of raised 2 more for a total of 11 children. I'm pretty good with them when they are young my wife is great with them when they become teens. All of our children are moved out now so we're empty nesters. Four years ago, we moved from a small town in central North Carolina to southern Illinois on 18 acres that backs up to the Shawnee national Forest. We are out in the middle of nowhere, if you know where bum (blank starts with the letter F) Egypt is well we're beyond that. My closest neighbor (great guy) is within shouting distance that is if he is listening hard. A traffic jam for us is when 2 cars pass the house within 5 minutes of each other. My wife and I both love it here... And we are taking baby steps twords weaning ourself from small town life to country life and becoming more and more self sufficient as time goes on.

I am still sane after having rasied 11 productive children although the sane part may be questionable...

I'm your typical guy I guess...
Like to Hike, fish, hunt, garden, wood work, raise animals (turkeys and chickens), etc... Professionally I'm a IT Risk and Complience Management guy and work from home. But perhaps the greatest joy I'm my life is my family, wife + 6 sons + 5 daughters + plus son and daughter in laws and oh grand kids (6 so far) they are the BEST!

Do I get trophy points now? -:lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thought you all might like to see a picture of my family. This is from today and basically our weekly family get together at our place for lunch and dinner and fun. This ain't even 1/2 of us. I'm very proud of each and every one of my family. I'm 5th from the left in the back row with my wife BTW.
FullSizeR.jpg

Today was HOT! we hit 97 degrees here in southern IL with a heat index of 111. But that didn't stop us at all. We fired up the BBQ anyways and smoked a lot of boneless beef ribs over hickory until about 5:00. We picked a little sweet corn out of the garden and boiled it up. We also picked some green beans and cooked them with bacon, garlic and salt. My kids brought a dish to pass and we busted open several of my wife's canning jars and pigged out (we do this most every weekend). We also filled up super soakers and water balloons and got each other drenched.

During all this we also weilded on my old troybilt rototiller, leveled off the air conditioning compressor, and put chicken wire around the bottom of the turkey yard.

My family works hard and plays even harder - I wouldn't have it any other way... My family is my greatest joy in life.

Here's also a picture of my wife's little helper... Our youngest granddaughter - wearing her "Red Neck Bracelets" as I call them. She's one little hot mess :) she's always talking but you can't hardly make out but a word or two. I think she might just be Pentecostal!!! I call her Stink Bug.
IMG_20170722_182115133.jpg

This is my other youngest Granddaughter "June Bug". With one of my BIG 3 third generation 4lb 1oz tomato I've been working on developing for 5 years now. We picked it out of the garden today. She is Paw paw's girl and has me wrapped around her little finger. She is tired and sad after a fun day playing outside and then mom and dad says it's time to go home now. Of course she wants to stay with Paw Paw. :)
IMG_20170722_185915926.jpg

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Most definitely!!!! Anyone with that many kids deserves a trophy at least once a month anyway. :D I'm the youngest of 9...I know of which I speak. Takes a special couple to raise that many of their own and then take on more. :woot

Welcome from the other side of Egypt here in WV...not in the middle of nowhere but you can sure see it from here. :welcome Glad to have you!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS! For that introduction we should give you bonus points ;)

I cannot imagine raising 11 children… I have one, only one, and he's handful enough!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crealbilly you got my points. Wow someone got me beat on younguns'. We have four grown kids and three still at home (adopted) and a grandson we've raised and are in the process of adopting him and oh yeah, six grandkids altogether. I've got chickens but no turkeys. Do you have separate places for your chickens and turkeys?

Yes I keep them separated chickens have their yard and turkeys have theirs. Since I let a few of my buff orpengton hens sits on eggs - I have an excess of roosters and I would guess about 50 chickens. I put the young roosters in the turkey yard and feed them high protein meat bird feed until I'm ready to eat them. The older hens I'll process to eat once the younger hens come into lay, I'll only keep my very productive rooster and 15 or 16 hens though the winter.

I have burbon red turkeys but only keep just one Tom and two hens through the winter. My hens are currently busy sitting on clutches, hopefully we'll have several turkeys to eat this winter. I'm a bit of a turkey-a-holic... Love me some heritage turkey meat.

IMG_20170707_194131536.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is obsessed with his turkeys. His next mission is to try to get a few bourbon reds. But we've been so happy with the temperament of the chocolates we might just stick with them.

I agree, heritage turkeys are DELICIOUS!
They sure are... Nothing at all like broad breasted / butter ball. So much more Delicious even the texture is better.

City folks just don't know what their missing and we won't tell them either!

Latest posts