New guy

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm here only for the trophy points -:lol but seriously... I don't want to be rude so I'll "introduce myself". My wife and I have been married going on 32 thousand years (seems that long anyways). We had 7 children of our own, and adopted 2 more then also kind of raised 2 more for a total of 11 children. I'm pretty good with them when they are young my wife is great with them when they become teens. All of our children are moved out now so we're empty nesters. Four years ago, we moved from a small town in central North Carolina to southern Illinois on 18 acres that backs up to the Shawnee national Forest. We are out in the middle of nowhere, if you know where bum (blank starts with the letter F) Egypt is well we're beyond that. My closest neighbor (great guy) is within shouting distance that is if he is listening hard. A traffic jam for us is when 2 cars pass the house within 5 minutes of each other. My wife and I both love it here... And we are taking baby steps twords weaning ourself from small town life to country life and becoming more and more self sufficient as time goes on.

I am still sane after having rasied 11 productive children although the sane part may be questionable...

I'm your typical guy I guess...
Like to Hike, fish, hunt, garden, wood work, raise animals (turkeys and chickens), etc... Professionally I'm a IT Risk and Complience Management guy and work from home. But perhaps the greatest joy I'm my life is my family, wife + 6 sons + 5 daughters + plus son and daughter in laws and oh grand kids (6 so far) they are the BEST!

Do I get trophy points now? -:lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS! For that introduction we should give you bonus points ;)

I cannot imagine raising 11 children… I have one, only one, and he's handful enough!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Crealbilly you got my points. Wow someone got me beat on younguns'. We have four grown kids and three still at home (adopted) and a grandson we've raised and are in the process of adopting him and oh yeah, six grandkids altogether. I've got chickens but no turkeys. Do you have separate places for your chickens and turkeys?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! What kind of turkeys do you have? My husband and I have chocolate turkeys (as well as chickens, goats and pigs).

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Most definitely!!!! Anyone with that many kids deserves a trophy at least once a month anyway. :D I'm the youngest of 9...I know of which I speak. Takes a special couple to raise that many of their own and then take on more. :woot

Welcome from the other side of Egypt here in WV...not in the middle of nowhere but you can sure see it from here. :welcome Glad to have you!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi & welcome crealbilly. Good to have you here.

Please post some pics from your place.

Also, I for one — and I believe I’m just one of many — would love to see pics of your DIY "makings & buildings". Y’know, everything from shelters & outbuildings to contrivances, devices, contraptions, adaptations, set-ups, etc!