New here, but not to (more) self sufficient living

justin_case

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmmmmm... my picks didnt load forsome reason....

justin_case

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ah.... that makes sence, dont know if I have that much to say..

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a wood furnace that is vented to the central heat system, which is FAG. When the power goes out, which is pretty often, we sometimes fire up the wood stove in the basement. The heat just kinda drifts up through the ductwork, as there is no fan running. works pretty good, but the stove puts off a smell like burnt paint. It's not new, nor are any of the parts. Does metal just stink when it gets hot? Would it be creosote burning in the pipes?

justin_case

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No, metal should not smell at all when heated, consider it inert (unless galvanized). I dont think it would be creosote as you use it so infrequently, hard to say what it is, maybe dust burning off the surface? that will give off a burnt smell

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing more about your stove. I live in South Jersey, and have already gone thru about a cord of wood. And, I've not had to burn everyday. Right now, we're in the middle of a "heat wave", so I don't have a fire going. I'd love to be able to burn less. Oh, and :welcome . I look forward to reading more of your posts.

justin_case

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sure, what would you like to know? and is this the right thread for that? I have looked at the topic headings, and dont see one for just wood heating. Maybe in the "do it yourself section"? or "how to save energy" I will start a thread there.

Latest posts