New housing boom = another recession?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The economy here is absolutely booming. There's more stuff being built than ever. I hate it. More people, higher property taxes etc but what worries me is the last housing boom when bush was president. Not long after we had a problem. In 2010 there wasn't any jobs in Texas at all.

Are you guys concerned? Putting anything back just incase? Seems most are spending as fast as they get it and borrowing more to do it. I'm a little guilty myself. I just signed a 30 year mortgage last year and with all these kids we don't have much to put back.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I busted my butt for several years to get us completely debt-free. It's an amazing feeling, and we have more money to do things with now, because we aren't having to pay big payments and interest. One thing that worries me about having extra set aside is... I don't really trust the banks and the government anymore. Anyone that thinks their money is safe in the bank needs to go back and read their history books. Start with the year 1929.....

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There will always be another recesssion. continuous growth is not sustainable. The only question is when and how bad. With that said, I don't want to be prepping for things that are extremely unlikely. I want to be debt-free, have skills, and always live somewhere where I can grow a substantial amount of food. That and preps for the likely emergencies in my area. Power out in winter is the biggest one I worry about. Hubby says we'll just leave and go where these i power. Uh. ... and leave livestock to starve? I don't like his plan. I desperately want a wood furnace that doesn't require electricity and a manual well pump.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, I haven't either; but this info was concerning beans that are put by for long term storage. I suppose at the worst we could run them through the grain mill and make a kind of flour out of them.

For Christmas, I got both of my older kids some Augason buckets with 30 day's worth of meals for a family of 4 along with a water purifier and a fire starter. They may not appreciate the gift right now, but in an emergency they will be so glad to have it. I was worried, but they were surprisingly affordable to ship via the USPS

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were just talking last night about getting a manual well pump, and we're planning on putting in a woodstove at some point. Winyer power outages are my biggest issue and fear also.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I still prefer volcanoes and earthquakes to tornadoes, yet I have relatives who live in Tornado Alley and tell me they find that easier to deal with than the threats from the Ring of Fire; either one is preferable to me compared to the constant threat of violence in Big Cities. I guess it's what you grew up with. There is nowhere on earth that is free of the threats of disaster of one sort or another.... which is why we prepare for emergencies!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm good actually. I'm putting a ton away this year, food and cash, and while not particularly looking for recession...not going to be too bothered by it if one rears its ugly head. I won't get into the politics aspect, but...just watch.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were just talking last night about getting a manual well pump, and we're planning on putting in a woodstove at some point. Winyer power outages are my biggest issue and fear also.

We had a wood stove and propane wall heaters that don't require electric to operate in our house in NC. Believe it or not but we have a real issue with power outages in NC. I think there is some state law that prohibited cutting trees by power lines. So any amount of ice or strong wind and sure enough power outages. We took the wall heaters and wood stove with us when we moved to southern IL and knock on wood haven't had to use them once so far.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have to live somewhere. You paid rent before you bought a house, at least paying a house note means that someday it will be yours. Then you will make payments to a saving account so you can pay the taxes and insurance when due. So don't let making a house note worry you. Unless you were homeless, you still had to pay to live somewhere.

If you are worried about "what comes after the boom" then put back some money each payday, even if it is $20. Put extra groceries in the pantry. You are on the right track with a garden, can and dehydrate all you can, freeze the rest. I got buckets with lids at the Shipley donut shop. I stored rice, beans, wheat, and sugar, sealed in food saver bags. If all else fails, we can eat.

How many kids do you have and what ages? Kids can be expensive, just keeping them fed and clothed can run into money. Here again, you are doing the right thing in raising food for your family. Is your wife on board with you on putting some back for a bust economy?