New housing boom = another recession?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There will always be another recesssion. continuous growth is not sustainable. The only question is when and how bad. With that said, I don't want to be prepping for things that are extremely unlikely. I want to be debt-free, have skills, and always live somewhere where I can grow a substantial amount of food. That and preps for the likely emergencies in my area. Power out in winter is the biggest one I worry about. Hubby says we'll just leave and go where these i power. Uh. ... and leave livestock to starve? I don't like his plan. I desperately want a wood furnace that doesn't require electricity and a manual well pump.

Me2

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got the woodstove last year; this summer I want to try to get better fencing around the property so our LGD doesn't have to stay on a chain when she's outside. That way she can give the chickens better coverage as well. After that, we are looking at a dual-power well pump. It's too deep and too narrow for most manual pumps, but we found one that works on solar as well as electric. Since we live in an area with something like 350 days of sunshine a year, it sounds good. Of course, I'm always thinking about what else we could do. My goal is to be able to take care of ourselves on little-to-no electricity for long periods of time. The main worry we have around here is Forest Fires, but there's very little I can do about it. I have the trailer, which I am slowly stocking up with what we would need to make it a second home if we got burned out. The property has been cleared of excess fire fuel to an acceptable level according to the fire department and we have a metal roof, which helps. Eventually I want to reface the exterior walls with fire-resistant material as well.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The banks in South Africa gives fantastic interest in savings, compared to the banks here in Ireland, that gives so little, it's not really worth the bother. I'd rather save with the Credit Union, they are only to happy to give even large loans, where the banks nowadays want everything but a blood sample before they approve you. I am planning to take out a loan in time to buy a property and between the two I can see which will be more willing to help me with that. As long as you save regular amounts with the CU, even small amounts, they will accommodate you.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were very careful on how much we would pay for our mortgage when we bought this place.

I keep telling hubby if we fence in some pasture and put in a small barn big enough for a few horses that the value of the place would go up at least 50%. Well over what the cost would be. So if we decide to sell we will do that.

I keep plenty enough stored for any likely emergencies. For me that includes dust masks since I can actually remember St Helens erupting and we have Rainier looming about 30 miles away.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori we have several volcanoes around us; in fact, Mt McLaughlin is less than an hour's drive away... so that looms large in our concerns also.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't you just love the ring of fire?

I wouldn't even buy a house in the valleys around here because lahars are a threat even without an eruption.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
DS would love that, he's obsessed with volcanos, but I think it's quite scary :\

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just a reminder that this is what I see everyday looming over us. There are lahar early warning systems in the valleys. Siren tests are a bit loud.

My worry is that it will start bulging like St Helens did. If it does that on our side I'm packing up birds and dogs and leaving. I'll be back to see what's left later

rainier_from_fife_by_seerisil-db6qp9m.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is beautiful, but way too close for comfort!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is true,@Britesea! Even here, where we got lulled into feeling everything is fine, we got caught out by the storm and no electricity for that period. I was talking to a friend in the village here yesterday and she brought it up. Said she could not heat her house or cook anything during that time and she has 3 kids (one 4yo and one I think about 18 months old). The local supermarket saved us all by being able to use back-up electricity and having hot water on tap for everyone that needed it.