New info on radiation of foods.....

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since learning our foods may be treated with radiation to kill harmful bacterias and any such foods are required to be labeled, I've been on a quest to find such labels.
I've checked at several stores and haven't found any such labels. Then hit the web for more research. After checking so many sites and information overload I found on the Food Safety & Inspection Service (FSIS) site a "AskKaren-chat live with a representative". So of course I clicked cause I wanted answers NOW ( :D ) Here's what I was told.....

Karen: Thank you for contacting AskKaren. How may I help you today?

Me: Does the FSIS, USDA or FDA require foods to be treated with radiation?

Karen: There are certain foods that are allowed to be irradiated, see below.
In addition to meat and poultry, US food regulations also allow the irradiation of wheat and wheat powder; white potatoes; 38 spices and dry vegetable seasonings, and fresh fruits. Irradiation is used for the following non-food functions regulated by FDA: medical treatments; sterilizing medical products, such as surgical gloves, bandages, and gauze; destroying bacteria in cosmetics; making nonstick cookware coatings; and making tires more durable.

Me: So in answer you are saying it is not required. Is that correct?

Karen: I don't have specific information on whether or not products are required to be irradiated. I suggest contacting our technical center for specific as regulations may change.
You can resubmit your question using AskFsis: http://askfsis.custhelp.com/
AskFsis is a web-based application that provides answers to questions about inspection, labeling, importing, and much more. If the answer to your question is not already in the system you can submit it as a new question and one of our staff officers will answer. OR You can also call the Policy Development Division at 1-800-233-3933 to speak to one of our staff officers.

Me: Okay, thanks. I have another question...If foods are treated with radiation are they required to be labeled with the radura symbol & the statement "treated with irradiation"?

Karen: Hold on, let me see if I can find that answer in my resources.

Karen: They are required to have the radura symbol and the statement "treated with irradiation" You can view this answer at Answer Link: http://askkaren.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/askkaren.cfg/php/enduser/sid_adp.php?p_faqid=257

Me: So when I go shopping at my local grocer, I should be able to easily find this label?

Karen: Yes, the package must bear the radura symbol.

Me: And what about the statement "treated with irradiation"?

Karen: If you are a business and are asking about labeling regulations related to the use of irradiated meat or poultry I would like to invite you to contact our technical center or use ASKFSIS

Karen: I answer questions for consumers in the home. I don't know all the regulations related to the use of the terms related to irradiation.

Me: I am not a business but a concerned consumer. Do you have a list of regularly radiated foods?

Karen: Suggestion
Summary: Which meat and poultry products may be irradiated?

Your Question or Comment: Which meat and poultry products may be irradiated?

Answer: Only refrigerated or frozen raw meat and poultry products, meat byproducts, and certain other meat food products may be irradiated. Examples of meat and poultry that may be irradiated are whole or cut-up birds, skinless poultry, pork chops, roasts, stew meat, liver, hamburgers, and ground meat. Cooked meats and poultry products such as luncheon meats and hot dogs may not be irradiated.

Me: So you are saying only meat and poultry may be irradiated. What about fruits, vegetables, spices, and eggs and/or milk?
By the way, my questions were directed at "foods", not just meats

Karen: Some spices and fruits and vegetables may be irradiated but my agency inspects Meat, Poultry and Egg products. FDA inspects all other foods. Unfortunately, I don't have guidelines regarding the other foods, you will have to contact FDA for specifics related to other foods like fruits, vegetables and spices. Here is the number 1-888-723-3366 if you want to follow up

Me: Okay thank you for the information. As for meat and poultry, what producers irradiate their products?

Karen: I'm afraid I don't have a list of producers that irradiate products

Me: Do you know where I can find out who does?

Karen: I'm not sure if there is a list. You can try calling our Policy Development Division 1-800-233-3935 for help. They may know which establishments can do that.

Me: I have been a label reader for years and have never seen a radura symbol or the statement "treated with irradiation" on any foods including meat, fish, poultry, fruits, vegetables, spices or dairy products-fresh, frozen or canned. Does this mean none of these foods have been treated with radiation?

Karen: Honestly, I've never seen one on a package either but I don't typically look for it. I know for meat and poultry it has to have the radura as well as the phrase treated by or with irradiation. If a product contains irradiated meat then the ingredients statement must list "irradiated pork or whatever". US food regulations allow the irradiation of wheat and wheat powder, and many spices...I've never seen a radura on a spice label so I'm not sure. The FDA may have a better answer as far as that.

Me: With so much information available about irradiation treatment of foods, federal regulations (USDA, FDA & FSIS) and reports in relation to such actions, I find it very hard to believe we as consumers have never seen such labels.

Karen: Irradiation may be "allowed" for some foods but that doesn't mean it is being used. As far as I know irradiated foods are really not widely available to consumers. Some stores have sold irradiated fruits and vegetables, ground beef and poultry. I haven't heard of it being sold in major supermarkets or chains.
I think it is more widely used for spices. But I don't know the regulations for that product, again the FDA may be able to help.

Me: Then why so much fuss over nothing?

Karen: I don't have an answer for that.

Me: One more question?
Are you a real live person or a computer?

Karen: I'm a real person

Me: Thank you for all your help. And as a consumer of market products, you should find out this information for your own interests.

Chat terminated

Okay so maybe I was asking the wrong person, but I still think this conversation was telling and informative.
As you can tell the FDA rules over produce (Monsantos domain in both sides) and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten a straight answer there either. Probably cause MS is one of the few who do irradiate their product and have the gvt to hide the fact. (I dont' know this, just my speculation)
I had read elsewhere that foods are NOT required to be treated with radiation, but can be done for a FEE so treatment is optional.
And as for labeling, in one place it states that only whole foods (or all ingredients within finished product) are treated are required to be labeled as long as it doesn't change the product (ie-diced tomatoes become mushy after treatment) BUT if an ingredient(s) within finished product are treated but not all, then no labeling is required.
Which is to say, in a long list of ingredients if only one or two of those have not been treated....it isn't required to be labeled.
BUT to be fair here (yeah right), I had also read elsewhere completely different info.
So what do you think?

Latest posts