New life for worn towels

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We can use a half dozen or more of hand towels in a day. Seems someone is always washing up. The hand towels are washed repeatedly and then eventually the edges begin to fray. The main body of the towels are still fluffy and absorbant, but the edges are all stringy. I use to trim and serge or zig zag the edges and that helped some. But, then a bath mat that I made last summer gave me the idea to trim the edges of the hand towels with fabric.

I wanted a bath mat that had some life to it. Not just a mat. I could find many colored bath mats, but none that looked especially nice. So I bought a large towel, cut it in half and fancied it up using coordinating fabrics. My oldest DD loved ours, so I made her a couple of bath mats. I also made her some hand towels to match the bath mats. I cut a very large towel into fourths and fancied them up, too.

While folding our worn hand towels last week, I got to thinking that I could do the same for them. I've done 4 so far and they really do look much better. Lucky for me I have a large stash of fabric and I've been able to find all that I need to match the towels

Not very exciting, but it sure brightens our bathroom. I won't have to run into the bathroom and put out a "good" towel when someone drops in.LOL

darn, I meant to post this under the frugal topic. Not sure how to move it now.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Great idea! Love the bathmat idea...I just might find myself making some of those in the not too distant future... have the perfect fabric for it too:>)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm.......gazing off into the distance and wondering if this would be an easy value added product for my farm stand....designer towels and bathmats! :D

Great idea, jenna!!! Can you give a little more details....like did you line the bottom of the mats with the coordinating fabric or did you just do a basic trim along the edges? Just wondering if they reversed to the coordinating color..... :)