New member, hello

Summer98

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new and I'm looking forward to learning things, getting ideas, and conversing with like-minded people. I'd like to learn about frugal house construction and energy saving ideas.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new and I'm looking forward to learning things, getting ideas, and conversing with like-minded people. I'd like to learn about frugal house construction and energy saving ideas.
Hi & welcome.

There are lots of energy-saving ideas discussed in the forum archives. About house construction: what is your background with construction, and what sort of house do you want ("frugal" is a bit vague)? There is a lot of helpful stuff about house construction from the concept, design, and methods standpoints on Youtube. Maybe we can help you locate resources.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome! We are still in the construction mode of our house, after how many years??? 7, I think? LOL But it's all good! I'm looking forward to swapping ideas.

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome! We are still in the construction mode of our house, after how many years??? 7, I think? LOL But it's all good! I'm looking forward to swapping ideas.

Only year seven? I compare the construction of my house to Johnny Cash's car. We started in the late 1970's. We are still working on the basement, and I can show you where things in the living areas are still not finished (and probably won't be since they don't seem important to spouse anymore). When you build everything yourself and do it as you can afford it, you value the house more, but it takes a lot longer.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I had to start over (and even if I don't), I'd want to go underground or construct something cheap and cover it with dirt. I bought a book on it and read everything I could online. Forget the name....something like, $50 Underground House...I'm probably not 100% right on it though. Great reading for the likes of us.
Welcome and enjoy. The water is just fine.
Saving energy.......hmmmm. I have recently been able to explore lots of ideas that I formally wasn't able to do. Check out the thread on heating a small room for 6 pence (I think that's what its called) a day. I've been doing that. I hate heating with electricity. I think that idea saved me a bundle this winter.
I'm hot after constructing a compost water heater in my back yard as an experiment for a downstairs bathroom I want to slowly get going.....and an extra kitchen. If it works good, then I might evict my electric water heater within the next year or 2.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome!!! Have you looked at cordwood construction? Look up www.daycreek.com Maybe start with a small storage building first, go from there. But be sure to post pics! We love pictures!!