New member, hello

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always was interested in earth contact or straw bale construction. Enter building codes, you know? They can make life interesting, too.
DH was NOT on board with either idea, so we had to build the way he knew and felt comfortable with. Sigh. But it was a good compromise to get him to move out to the country.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Only year seven? I compare the construction of my house to Johnny Cash's car. We started in the late 1970's. We are still working on the basement, and I can show you where things in the living areas are still not finished (and probably won't be since they don't seem important to spouse anymore). When you build everything yourself and do it as you can afford it, you value the house more, but it takes a lot longer.
Johnny Cash's car? That is hilarious!
I know what you mean about the unfinished stuff. We touched every single inch of our last home of 28 years. Yet there were oddball things that never were finished. One day I made a list of all the little weird things and noted how long it had been sitting unfinished. Hubs got all animated about it
(picture this - :barnieand this-:weeetogether and you got the idea).
He finally did get some of them done, but others were left the way they were. The house still sold to the first family that looked at it, so maybe they weren't that important to anyone but me. :)