New Member Introduction

kenzie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? I live in southern Georgia. We have mild winters and hot summers. So far we have had a very cold winter. It snowed earlier this month, and we hardly ever get snow.
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? My parents.
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
I have a large garden, and want to plant some crops next year. I also raise chickens and ducks for meat and eggs. I am getting a steer soon that will be for eating, and have two calves that will be raised to provide milk. I want to learn more about everything! Specifically, raising more animals to sustain myself and my family. I have looked into getting pigs and goats, and I want to learn more about raising rabbits for meat.
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
I don't think so, unless you count having way too many ducks and chickens!
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
No.
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Yes, I can. I currently have 23 chickens, 2 (soon to be 6) ducks, and 2 calves.
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I do like gardening. I enjoy growing different kinds of squash and pumpkins, and I have a few different kinds of peppers.
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
I do go fishing sometimes, using bait.
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
I own 11 acres, in the country.
10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
I would say my specialty is poultry. I would like to learn more about raising rabbits.
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet?
No, I don't.
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
I am, I find it interesting and would like to learn more about it.
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
Probably right here in Georgia, but farther north and with lots of land.
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
I do have one, and I use it for heating. I haven't cooked anything on it yet.
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?
Yes, I love to cook. I am. I haven't yet used raw milk, and I bake with my duck eggs.
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
I have not gone hunting yet, and I do not forage.
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
I like trying new things, and doing things myself.
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
I would like too get some, but haven't yet. I use solar lights on my chicken coops.
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
I haven't, but I would like to.
20. Do you make things yourself to save money?
Yes.
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?
Yes, I think it has.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're welcome! Can't wait to hear more stories about your upcoming adventures. And - I highly recommend both goats and pigs!

Latest posts