New Member Introductions - Questions

libra2623

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? Massachusetts, 4 seasons, zone 5, humid/warm summer, long winter
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? my love of nature and growing plants.
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more? I grow my own marijuana but will be starting a garden this coming spring
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs? yes
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? i grow marijuana which some people may find helpful.
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? yes but I currently do not own any animals. I would like to eventually get chickens and possibly goats.
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? Yes, marijuana, tomatoes, cucumbers, kale basically anything that will grow in new england I would like to try growing.
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? Haven't fished in years but I would love to get into salt water fishing as the ocean is only 15 minutes from me.
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? 1 acre
10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? I want to learn trapping and possibly hunting in the near future. I am looking into getting a compound bow.
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet? No but I enjoy doing projects like that.
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine? Yes
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? I love New England but somewhere with a longer growing season like South Carolina. I also have never been to the west coast so California, particularly northern California really appeals to me as well.
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? No, but I would love to get one!
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs? Love cooking and definitely interested in using raw and fresh foods. I am pretty proficient in cooking Portuguese Foods.
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? I have before and have a foraging book but I'd like to go with a guide especially to identify local edible mushrooms.
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient? I can grow marijuana pretty well and have had success in the past with growing vegetables.
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? possibly in the future but would have them installed off of the house as we have friends who almost had their roof and house burn down with them attached.
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? Possibly, but I am not sure how to go about it.
20. Do you make things yourself to save money? Depends on what this question implies by make but I have yet to make any tools to save money. I constantly am renovating the house on my own to save money.
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? I have yet to really start on trying to be more self sufficient but I hope it does have those benefits.

Zabolca

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? USA, I'm in Zone 6b
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? I want to get healthy and make my yard pay rent.
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more? I havent had to buy eggs for a year now. I would like to start reducing other needs, I'm expanding a small garden this year.
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs? Yes, I would like to learn how to preserve my own food
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? I crochet and knit, any size, just about anything. yes, I could help others.
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? I do have limitation but I have 4 road island red hen currently.
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? I do, I grew some tomatoes, peppers and squash last year and I'm going to expand that this year to herbs and flowers I hope.
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? Nope
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? Own/City/half acer
10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? I want to learn more about Gardening, building soil, preserving food and being less needy on society in general.
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet? No
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine? Yes
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? Near a small river with lots of woods
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? Not yet
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs? Yes
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? Only in my yard
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient? Organized, methodical, and forgiving
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? No, possibly in the future
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? I have been close before and yes
20. Do you make things yourself to save money? yes
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? More like my habits about money have made me look to be more self-sufficient.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? I do, I grew some tomatoes, peppers and squash last year and I'm going to expand that this year to herbs and flowers I hope.

hi and welcome to SS. if you are primarily interested in gardening TEG has a lot more garden information. :)

RebeccaRN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all just found this site. I'm on the easy garden and back yard chicken sites and happened to spot this one. I am a nurse, I live on 1.25 acres in NE Oklahoma. I do grow a small vegetable garden and have 9 chickens. I love herbal medicine and essential oils and use them for most of my Healthcare needs. I would love to learn more from all of you and become as self sufficient as I can. Thanks for having this wonderful site available.