Please note: answering these questions are optional. These are just some things we'd like to know about you, your interests/hobbies/ skills, etc. Feel free to add or dismiss anything
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
Middle Louisiana - Summers are hot, and winters are cold !
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
I have been reading Mother Earth News since the first edition, then many other similar magazines. Plus, I was raised on a farm, and I love to pound hot metal on my anvil.
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
I keep a couple months supply of emergency food on hand at all times(in case of hurricanes). I would also like to learn more of canning fruits and veggies.
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
But, of course !
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I manufacture windshield repair equipment, and set up folks in 3rd Wold Countries to earn a living repairing windshields
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
The key word here is LEGALLY... But I do have some chickens.
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I like growing ocra, corn, greens, tomatoes... I am also growing some Satsuma orange trees, but still too young to produce
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
Explosives ! HAHAHAHA I grow worms for bait. I also fish for Tilapia when I am in Asia. Although these are grown on farms, these can still be caught wild.
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
I have 1/2 acre in town where I live, and 8 acres in the country
10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
I dabble in Blacksmithing, welding, and metal casting. Am I any good? Hmmm.
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet?
I have built a nice house that my ex wife and her husband enjoy. Right now I am restoring an older home. I like to build other stuff, too, such as cabinets and shelves. My 12 year old and I are building some bunk beds.
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
Yes, and I swear by CBD oil
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
In the mountains of Mindanao, Philippines
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
not at the moment, but i will install one before winter
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?
yes, I love to cook. I like cooking with food I have grown.
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
I hunt SOME, but I really hate to say goodbye to the animal I have killed. I do it less and less.
But I love to eat meat ! haha ! So I depend on local hunters to supply my needs
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
Gardening, trapping, hunting, metal working, mechanical, carpentry
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? i installed water heater panels on my ex-wife's house, and plan to do so on mine.
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
I have not, but I would like to. When I lives with my brother in law on his farm in Philippines, he had minimal electricity
20. Do you make things yourself to save money?
I sure do!
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?
I dont know... I've been living this way since I was a child....