New Member Introductions - Questions

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi all just found this site. I'm on the easy garden and back yard chicken sites and happened to spot this one. I am a nurse, I live on 1.25 acres in NE Oklahoma. I do grow a small vegetable garden and have 9 chickens. I love herbal medicine and essential oils and use them for most of my Healthcare needs. I would love to learn more from all of you and become as self sufficient as I can. Thanks for having this wonderful site available.
Welcome. There is a "lotions and potions" thread, named: All Things Topical. We'd love to have you add some of your recipes.

Carol_Hughes

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
Hello
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? SW Missouri, zone 6b.
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?My grandparents taught me.
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?I grow a large vegetable garden, and we have an orchard with many different fruits. I can about everything you can safely can. We will soon have chickens.
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?We have been and will continue to do so.
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?I sew and craft.
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Yes Do you have any? Soon What kinds?Chickens
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? Fruits, vegetables and ornamentals
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? Yes, bait
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? Country, 2 acres
10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? Gardening (My husband and I are both Master Gardeners), Canning, Freezing and Dehydrating
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet?I enjoy refinishing furniture.
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine? Yes
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? Right where I am.
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?No, but wish I did.
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?I enjoy cooking. We eat a Keto diet so lots of eggs.
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? Yes to foraging. Have never hunted.
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient? 40 years as a paramedic. Very much a DIYer. Gardening and safe canning.
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?No. We checked into it and the cost would have been too much due to our ages.
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? No but absolutely would like to.
20. Do you make things yourself to save money? Yes
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? We have always been money conscious and careful

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good day! Newbie here. Will start answering the questins the best I can. All 21 of them. Lol

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? Southwest Michigan. Extreme seasons [very cold winters/super hot summers]
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? Sick of city life and searching for peace and quietness.
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more? Need to learn it all. Just starting.
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs? Yes.
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? I learned to crochet, quilts but would love to learn much more like pressure canning. Would you want to teach others how to do these? Maybe
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? I guess so. Do you have any? Yes. What kinds? Chickens.
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? Yes. I would like to learn to grow all things but wish I could grow more of some of my country's vegetables.
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? Yes. Usually at Walmart where there is a sure catch.
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? 1.5 acre in New Era Oceana county
10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? To be determined.
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet? Some woodburning but did my chicken run with pieces of wood,lol
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine? Somewhat.
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? Greenland,lol Just kidding. I really do not like temperatures higher than 65 but love living in God's hand [Michigan]
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? No.
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs? Tricky questions,lol Yes, love to cook. I do not eat vegetables. Never tried raw milk. I have fresh eggs.
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? No
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient? Unknown
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? No. Wish.
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? No. Yes.
20. Do you make things yourself to save money? No
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? Yes, but wish to be able to do better.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good day again! I am from Puerto Rico. Joined the Army and relocated to the US. Lived in many states from the East coast to Central US. Visited a few times the West coast bit did not like it. Now living in Southwest Michigan. I am a complete city woman but got tired and once became disable, I moved to the country. Have a 1.5 acre. There is a water well but do not use it because it smells bad,tastes aweful and it stains everything, like the shwer,tub and toilets. Even my hair turned orangy. I live on disability and would like to learn how to have a sustainable life with more peace and quiteness. The only down part is that everything is from 30 to 60 minutes away. Proerty has also a propane tank. I do have neighbors but they are not too friendly s I stay to myself. Some neighbors from a street over are more friendly. Maybe is the hispanic that they do not like,but I served my coutry and pay my taxes,so I do whatever I please inside my borders. I broke an ankle 3 years ago and out of boredness, I learned crochet. It is part of my peace. My quietness got interrupted when I acquired chickens. Lesson learned. My dirty dozen are my children and I love them more than I love myself. I also have another child who is my bestie and support. Her name is Pixie and she is scared of the chickens. She also weighs about 9lbs. She is a maltesse mixed with something because she has an underbite,lol
I do not eat vegetables bit enjoy gardening and want to learn to do all that I can. I can always donate the veggies. I cannot sell because there is no traffic on my street. Thank God because it is a dirt road and that alone will keep me busy just cleaning and dusting off. I guess I will add more as it needs or are asked. Thank you all.