New Member Introductions - Questions

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There are a couple active members in WI with similar climate. Are you near the lake? My family vacationed along the lake in SW michigan. We drove around the lake. SW Michigan was fantastic. I want to go back! The fresh peaches were amazing!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Y

Yes, I love beans! Red,pink,white,black,lol

:) great! there are a lot of bean lovers on TEG too so you should have plenty of ways of getting some that will grow for you. if you've not found your local libraries that have seed libraries i suggest searching for those and seeing what's available, plus it is always great to meet local gardeners as they may have seeds already adapted to your soils and climate.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are a couple active members in WI with similar climate. Are you near the lake? My family vacationed along the lake in SW michigan. We drove around the lake. SW Michigan was fantastic. I want to go back! The fresh peaches were amazing!
I guess I am. I am north of Muskegon in the New Era area but in Oceana county.

faithful

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Please note: answering these questions are optional. These are just some things we'd like to know about you, your interests/hobbies/ skills, etc. Feel free to add or dismiss anything :)

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet?
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
20. Do you make things yourself to save money?
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?
Greetings, I am new, faithful. I rent but as i have a deck and my health has plummeted recently I am very interested in movable container gardening that has bird and rodent deterrents. Herbal medicine is where I am headed to know. I do not have solar tea however, there are a few u could really have fun with. One you walk and charge your phone at the same time. I do have some small solar lights on deck for safety as I have had unannounced nor invited visitors. I have never lived off grid. I really need help with my eyes. Bird mites or rodent mites came down from bathroom vent and there is a mite in my eye. You would be surprised how much this affects your life. I have been to two opticians and an opthomologist. I think the steroids with a small antibiotic included may have not been the best prescription. So, I thought herbal. Get it done. Learn from bounty of nature and here I am, ever sincerely faithful. Thank you. I am a little scared.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Greetings, I am new, faithful. I rent but as i have a deck and my health has plummeted recently I am very interested in movable container gardening that has bird and rodent deterrents. Herbal medicine is where I am headed to know. I do not have solar tea however, there are a few u could really have fun with. One you walk and charge your phone at the same time. I do have some small solar lights on deck for safety as I have had unannounced nor invited visitors. I have never lived off grid. I really need help with my eyes. Bird mites or rodent mites came down from bathroom vent and there is a mite in my eye. You would be surprised how much this affects your life. I have been to two opticians and an opthomologist. I think the steroids with a small antibiotic included may have not been the best prescription. So, I thought herbal. Get it done. Learn from bounty of nature and here I am, ever sincerely faithful. Thank you. I am a little scared.

Welcome!

Even in apartment you can do what is viable for you. I canned jams and would buy meat primals so I could make my own burger and steaks for cheaper. I had plants in the windows but we didn't have a balcony. Had a 6 foot avocado tree that I grew from seed in the living room.

whysprs

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? Southern illinois, as for climate, we are known to have all 4 seasons in a week.
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? I have never liked to depend on anyone and pretty much the reason, that and my step dad at a young age made me a survivalist.
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more? We do the best we can with what we have, if something breaks i fix it if i cant fix it, usually we either go without until i can obtain another one. We did a small animal farm for a while, didnt have problems with that until the coyotes came through and killed everything, that was close to the end of it .
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs? We already do. Mostly dry goods though..
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? We do make craft items, I do leathercraft, make jewelry and a few other things, my wife does crochet, sewing and a few others as well.
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? We could but don't, too many wild predators here, especially coons and stray cats, if we did it would probably be chickens and rabbits again.
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?our garden has been crap the last 3 years.
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?yes, we use bait, usually hotdogs, minnow or lures.
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? Right now dry docked on about 1/2 acre with probably 1/3 of that usefull.
10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet? Some wood work but not cabinetry.
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine? Yes, I mostly do teas but have made a lot of tinctures this past year.
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? Probably somewhere closer to a lake, river or the ocean.
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? No, currently we use propane but im seriously thinking about an oil burner heater made from an ammo box.
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs? I do cook, mostly from scratch, but my wife now has a gluten allergy, we was doing organic which helped but sometimes it sets her off too, so now we use gluten free mixes.
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? Sometimes, the state put a hamper on it when they kicked us from the state park where things are more prolific.
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient? Im a handyman that also does leather work and can weild.
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? Had plans but ran out of extra money for it.
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? No, but that was the plan, currently the only power power consumption is an ac unit in the summer, 1 lightbulb, a fan, our phone chargers and a coffee carafe for coffee in the morning
20. Do you make things yourself to save money? Yes, rather its something simple as to be a tool or something mere complex like off grid washer . I have a video on it.
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? Not really, we dont spend so much except to live and some hobbies

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? Southern illinois, as for climate, we are known to have all 4 seasons in a week.
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? I have never liked to depend on anyone and pretty much the reason, that and my step dad at a young age made me a survivalist.
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more? We do the best we can with what we have, if something breaks i fix it if i cant fix it, usually we either go without until i can obtain another one. We did a small animal farm for a while, didnt have problems with that until the coyotes came through and killed everything, that was close to the end of it .
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs? We already do. Mostly dry goods though..
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? We do make craft items, I do leathercraft, make jewelry and a few other things, my wife does crochet, sewing and a few others as well.
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? We could but don't, too many wild predators here, especially coons and stray cats, if we did it would probably be chickens and rabbits again.
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?our garden has been crap the last 3 years.
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?yes, we use bait, usually hotdogs, minnow or lures.
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? Right now dry docked on about 1/2 acre with probably 1/3 of that usefull.
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet? Some wood work but not cabinetry.
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine? Yes, I mostly do teas but have made a lot of tinctures this past year.
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? Probably somewhere closer to a lake, river or the ocean.
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? No, currently we use propane but im seriously thinking about an oil burner heater made from an ammo box.
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs? I do cook, mostly from scratch, but my wife now has a gluten allergy, we was doing organic which helped but sometimes it sets her off too, so now we use gluten free mixes.
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? Sometimes, the state put a hamper on it when they kicked us from the state park where things are more prolific.
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient? Im a handyman that also does leather work and can weild.
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? Had plans but ran out of extra money for it.
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? No, but that was the plan, currently the only power power consumption is an ac unit in the summer, 1 lightbulb, a fan, our phone chargers and a coffee carafe for coffee in the morning
20. Do you make things yourself to save money? Yes, rather its something simple as to be a tool or something mere complex like off grid washer . I have a video on it.
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? Not really, we dont spend so much except to live and some hobbies

Welcome.

I'm just trying to offer some ideas that might help with the gluten issue. My Mom is allergic to wheat. The anaphylaxis type if she eats it. The wheat harvests a mile or more away give her hay fever like you wouldn't believe and she has to use her nebulizer a lot.

Asian grocery stores carry rice flour that is silkie smooth so you can actually use it for making your own baking mix. Glutinous (texture not protien) rice flour and tapioca flour are some of her go to ones because she has to be careful of the gums in the mixes.

If you want to flour and fry something crispy, sweet potato starch is awesome.

The asian groceries also carry non-wheat noodles with several options. Glass noodles are made with bean starch and effect blood sugar less than others.