New Season Of Doomsday Preppers Tonight on Nationial Geographic

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Well you gotta remember, those eggs you want to give them comes out of the chickens butts! How do we know there's not actually poop in them?

KnightMare

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Well you gotta remember, those eggs you want to give them comes out of the chickens butts! How do we know there's not actually poop in them?
Did you REALLY say that DD? I'm shocked. None of those eggs come from the butt, although they do come from rather close by...
And yes, there might be a bit of feces on those eggs from time to time...

Frankly, the NatGeo folks have taken to making fun of these folks who are genuinely scared of the future. Many of us feel the same way, but it is all in how we deal with the information and what we do about it as individuals.

Being SS is a life style. It is NOT "Prepping for Doomsday" although it is a compatible concept. I noticed that the NatGeo folks tend to "color" their coverage to gain "ratings" rather that give well meaning people a chance to air their views. The older you get, the more concerned you become but then the closer you get "to the fence" the less worried you feel.

I watched one of their episodes about a guy in Canada who built an underground nuclear shelter out of a bunch of old school buses. Frankly, I thought they made fun of him and attempted to make him look stupid. The guy has some "strange ideas" when it comes to some things, but he certainly put his money where his mouth is. That type of compound didn't come cheap and isn't cheap to maintain. He originally thought it would hold 1000 people but the government changed their parameters and now it is only capable of taking in 500, most of whom he wants to be children. There are a lot of issues there but it should be easy to see that NatGeo really tried to make him out to be some sort of nut, rather than a concerned older citizen who keeps track of the activities in the world and is convinced that nuclear war is not only assured but imminent.

Perhaps NatGeo could be a little more tolerant of the ideas of those who would make a major effort to save human beings from the devastation of nuclear holocaust. Nah...they like the ratings.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
KM, I've heard of people that won't eat the farm fresh eggs once they realized how they're laid. Their excuse is that it comes out of the chicken's butt. Don't know where they think the ones from the store come from. And horrors of horrors, my chickens go thru the horse poop. So, who knows what's in those eggs!

KnightMare

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
OK, Now I have some perspective. That reminds me of the article I found in a newspaper where the author chastised hunters for shooting animals for meat when they could just as easily "buy is at the store where it was made and no animals were harmed."

I thought that guy probably got a high level job in Washington after publishing that article.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Yep, and the people who don't understand why farmers are so upset. After all, they get their food at the supermarket.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Yep, and the people who don't understand why farmers are so upset. After all, they get their food at the supermarket.
Gee If I raise cotton or Beef on my farm am I only supposed to eat what I grow? I grew up on a family farm and we grew a lot of what we ate. But the shoe trees and jeans bushes newer did very well. There is a huge difference between farming and being SS.

KnightMare

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
~gd said:
Denim Deb said:
Gee If I raise cotton or Beef on my farm am I only supposed to eat what I grow? I grew up on a family farm and we grew a lot of what we ate. But the shoe trees and jeans bushes newer did very well. There is a huge difference between farming and being SS.
Whoa, there big boy! come on back down to earth. How in the world did you make THAT stretch?
I can see why you think we need some new ideas on this forum but that isn't even a close association. Why not look at what was being discussed? The issue seems to have gotten lost here.
The problem being evaluated has to do with the fact that there are way too many folks who have NO CLUE as to how or where food comes from. This has nothing to do with cotton...
Get a grip there buddy.
Being SS is a way of life. We haven't had the "great catastrophe" just yet. Once that happens, perhaps you will want to get a bush to grow jeans but for now, I'd concentrate on the ones that grow food. Stick to the concepts, OK? no one said anything about eating ONLY what you grow when it comes to being SS. But knowing that eggs come from the back end of a chicken and milk comes from the teat of a cow appears to escape a lot of folks in this country and I'd bet I know who they voted for...
Just Sayin'

KellyK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MarylandFutureFarmGuy said:
they're crazy. Do you notice how at the end of each little segment they state how such a scenario is virtually impossible? I mean, some kid was prepping gas masks for financial collapse, I mean comeon...Another family for small pox. Small pox exists in two places, both secure, and there is enough vaccine in the USA to vaccinate everyone, most likely within a few weeks.
Actually my Daughter can not have the small pox vaccine nor can she be around anybody who gets the small pox vaccine. For her the vaccine is 100% fatal. The disease she has a chance to survive. 30% chance of death is better than 100%. Since I received the vaccine as a child, I do not have to worry about getting the disease.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great Googley MOOGLEY!! Where do they find these people.. I can see someone who has set himself up to be first person shot in his neighborhood if the power goes out.. sheesh.. These are the folks that give preppers a bad name. This guy alone could set the prepper movement back a few hundred years..
Now the family in Costa Rica.. so cool what they are doing.