new thoughts on Emergency Preparedness

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, after this last ice storm I have a whole new idea on Emergency Preparedness. There are still people with no electricity here in Arkansas and are still finding people dead.

I am going to start stocking up on food and water.

jackie

mullers3acers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Dear Jackie,
Two years after we moved into our run down but our dream home we had a blizzard. We were not prepared for the cold and being without power for 2 1/2 days. Each time bad weather hit us we learned something new that we needed during these times. Now when we hear that weather is going to be bad we get ready as if it has already hit us. We always make sure that we have plenty of water for flushing the toliet and cooking and for drinking. we have large cook stove in the Kitchen so during these times I can cook make a lot of soups.Batteries for the radio. And a coleman latern plus flashlights. Also have plenty of board games or cards because you will get board easily. Oh also have strike anywhere matches.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We lose power alot out here. Not sure why..I have call the power company, and they agree we lose power more than most...but can not figure out why. So....with this being " our way of life" we have learned to be prepared...summer OR winter. When there is an ice storm ...blizzard coming, and you are pretty sure you will lose power....get blankets...LOTS of them. Pick the one room you will essentially "live in" for the time of the power outtage. Put blankets over the windows..and hang them for a partition over the doorways. By makeing your "living space" smaller...it will be easier to keep the heat. I save all the tall glass jars I can get...for burning candles in. No wax drips..no "loose flames" and the glass reflects the light better. Fill the tub with water...for flushing...and only flush when NEEDED! If you dont have a wood stove, or fireplace...stock up on canned heat. They sell it at most home improvement stores. You can heat soups over them.(provideing you have soup) LOL And, dont forget those animals....even with "fur coats" they need heat as well. If you have outside dogs...bring them in and if needed, secure them in a corner...hey, more body heat! If possible, layer your floor with mattressses. This will keep you from sleeping on the cold floor. It seems like a lot of work for some...but staying alive is worth all the work it takes. And...dont forget..check on neighbors often! Maybe envite them over...the more the merrier!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Jackie

Do you have alternate heat? That is the biggie in ice conditions for winter....no power means no heat for alot of people. That is how you die. We sure can go without food for a while, we can melt ice for water on a fire pit if needed, but no heat is the biggie!

That is the number one problem!

We always have food in the house. Most people can stock soup in a can. Easy to heat even on a backyard fire pit if necessary.

Have propane for the bbq handy. Like 2 bottles.

And stock the pantry with easy open cans....doesn't matter what, as long as it can easily be heated in one pot and could save your life.

you are smart to be thinking about all this. That is the one reason I bought a propane fireplace. I have a 100 lb. tank and it will keep me alive thru a month of no power on one tank. That is key for me....warmth!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
A flash flood knocked out an electric tower years ago. No electricity for about a week. I got a real quick lesson in emergency preparedness! :p

This thread is a good reminder that I need to go through our stuff any rotate out any old stuff and make sure everything else is in good shape.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When i built my home in 1989 i had a air tight fireplace insert installed with two in wall blowers.I always find firewood somewhere, i get alot from town highway crews who cut up trees for what ever reasonand leave them for the public to grab.Yes, its a pain in the butt to get up and load more firewood in the middle of the night or very early morning, but heat is heat.My forced air oil furnace works fine, i fire it up a couple ime durng the winter just to make sure it works. I only burn oil for my hot water heater.When the electric goes out, i have plenty of heat.IMO, if you can afford it, look for a good used air tight wood stove for emergrency situations, if you can get enough firewood( free or real cheap) you may use it all winter like i do.
I have a propane stove, with no digital oven which i just replaced.The one i had i couldn't use the oven with no electric. Now if the electric goes out i can use the oven a well as the 4 burners. I have a couple of clean fuel burning oil lamps for emergencies, the type with wide wicks that throw alot of light. There good for reading, seeing what your doing while cooking, etc..
I still have a water problem if i lose power, that means no water pressure, no hot water, no shower, no flushing toilet..If i know a storm i coming, i fill my bathtub with water to flush.
This is my next proity to resolve...I've been canning and storing food for longer term storage for awhile now...
One never knows when trouble will hit us, man made or Mother Nature...these days i pray for the best,and prepare for the worst as best i can.
My prayers are with those still suffering with no heat, water or access to food from these strong winter storms and hard times...
If you have a few extra bucks, buy emergencies supplies....thats what i do....

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
justusnak said:
If you dont have a wood stove, or fireplace...stock up on canned heat. They sell it at most home improvement stores. You can heat soups over them.(provideing you have soup)
I made my own canned heat by taking a large empty tuna can and corrugated cardboard cut in long strips and wound in a tight spiral inside so you see nothing but the corrugated ends.
It was filled with melted paraffin or candles.
I took this on a month long hike on the Appalachian Trail because there was a campfire ban due to drought. It heated all my meals and boiled off trail water. Control the flame with a can lid.

I made more and keep them with candles for outages and they store for years; I have one from 22 years ago. Pennies to make.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I made my own canned heat by taking a large empty tuna can and corrugated cardboard cut in long strips and wound in a tight spiral inside so you see nothing but the corrugated ends.
It was filled with melted paraffin or candles.
I took this on a month long hike on the Appalachian Trail because there was a campfire ban due to drought. It heated all my meals and boiled off trail water. Control the flame with a can lid.
We used to cook with those in girl scouts!