new thoughts on Emergency Preparedness

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
justusnak said:
We lose power alot out here. Not sure why..I have call the power company, and they agree we lose power more than most...but can not figure out why.
When we first moved to your county, we lost power every time it rained! :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when I moved here about 15 years ago, the first 8 years or so I would lose alot of power....why I don't have a clue.....but then I saw them changing out a big transformer on the pole not far down the road from me. Never had the problem since!!!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
sylvie said:
justusnak said:
If you dont have a wood stove, or fireplace...stock up on canned heat. They sell it at most home improvement stores. You can heat soups over them.(provideing you have soup)
I made my own canned heat by taking a large empty tuna can and corrugated cardboard cut in long strips and wound in a tight spiral inside so you see nothing but the corrugated ends.
It was filled with melted paraffin or candles.
I took this on a month long hike on the Appalachian Trail because there was a campfire ban due to drought. It heated all my meals and boiled off trail water. Control the flame with a can lid.

I made more and keep them with candles for outages and they store for years; I have one from 22 years ago. Pennies to make.
Sylvie..........could you post a picture of these canned heat things please???

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
yes, we have a fireplace that will heat the house pretty well with no electricity.

We have been out of electricity for a few days due to ice before but some of these people in northern Arkansas are going on for 2 weeks.

A few years ago our electricity would go off for no reason but we found out our area was growing with new people moving out here that the transformers couldn't handle the new load but they finally got it fixed.

We live in an area that use to get hit by tornadoes every year but thank goodness we've been spared the last couple years. When my youngest was a baby we had to go stay with my bil and sil for a week because the electricity was off and had a baby so it was just easier to stay with family.

We will definitely be storing up food and water. We have some neighbors that we are close to that we would probably share cooking with.

jackie

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I think heat would be my greatest challenge if we had a major disaster. Thank goodness it really does not get to cold here. Gives you food for thought about what you could or would do differently when choosing/building your home. I wonder if I can put a fire place insert in my cheap metal box fireplace? You know the kind with a blower?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Blower doesn't work when the electricity goes out! We have one, we can use it, but the heat doesn't get too far without the blower. But it is enough to heat the kitchen and living room and cook on if we have to.

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our fireplace has a blower but it will heat most of the house without it. One of our goals is to stock up on plenty of fire wood.

jackie

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
When my parents moved us in to the house they built, it wasn't done yet, but the old house sold and we had to move. We had NO electric for about a week, so no blower on the fireplace. It was November....in Northern Wisconsin.

No, it didn't heat the whole house, but it kept a rather large living room quite toasty. We all just camped there until the power was finally switched on.