New to the forum, my projects!

MiracleWik

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Good afternoon all!

My name is Ashley, I'm in the Navy and currently stationed in Portsmouth, VA. I'm from the country originally (Wisconsin), but now live on about half an acre in the city. I do have 8 chickens for eggs/bug control, a decent garden for my space, vermiculture, and colony/tractored New Zealand rabbits for meat. Since my husband isn't working, us and the kids are living off my meager military salary. I have many things I learned from back in Wisconsin and feverently wish I could apply them, but with our limited space I have to live vicariously through you all! I've read from the earliest posts of some of these forums, and now that it's more socially acceptable to post, you should be seeing a bit more of me here.

-Ashley

bjmstahl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Welcome Ashley and thank you for your service to our country!:frow:thumbsup I look forward to reading your posts.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
:welcome

There's several of us on here that have less than 1/2 an acre. It's not how much you have but what you do with what you've got!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow
Welcome and thank you for your service.

MiracleWik

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks!

I forgot to mention, I also tan the skins of the rabbits, started saving seeds this year, and have a compost pile. There is a Starbucks on my way home from work so I've been picking up the "Grounds for your Garden" bags to mix with my compost pile. It's been getting so hot, the crickets are moving out. :D

I'll be deploying next month, so any ideas on how to make the mini farm "City-Boy" proof, please let me know! I'm making cages for the rabbits and harvesting what I can, but much of the burden will fall on my husband.

-Ashley

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Welcome - and Thank you for your service.

City Boy Proof - I am not sure that is even possible. But sounds like he has a good foundation and will make things work out. He might even surprise you. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
any ideas on how to make the mini farm "City-Boy" proof
I have one of those too :D Make him a schedule with big check boxes and laminate it. Get a write on wipe off pen and have him check off stuff as he goes. You might want to have a section that says DAILY, one for WEEKLY chores and a MONTHLY area. Just avoiding using cutesy cartoon characters so it doesn't look childish. Maybe put some flames in the background our something that looks like metal so it is nice and manly. You may even start using it for yourself so he can see you follow it. Then it would just be part of the family routine rather than a list so goofy city boy hubby doesn't kill the critters by accident :D

P.S. I am also an ex-cheesehead.