NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nah, moose are way more dangerous and I've seen them out the window too! I mean, if I was alone and unarmed in the woods, yeah seeing a bear is scary! But they're more likely to run away. Moose are more likely to charge.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm so glad I'm not living where you're living…

;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A friend of my husband's was driving down the road, back in high school. A giant bull moose was standing in the middle of the road. Friend honked. BAD IDEA! Moose charged, friend had to reverse as fast as he could to get away. Don't challenge moose. Wait them out or find a different path! Lol

Someone nearby was attacked by a rabit bobcat recently too... Yeah NH is awesome!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, a bear makes my opossum, fox & rat snakes less of a predator issue!! Not to mention the damage a bear can do without even trying hard. We have black bear but, most are concentrated in a national preserve (Great Dismal Swamp) that is about 30miles as crow flies.

In Yellowstone one year, a bison bull took a whole LOT of interest in our large motor home....a herd crossing road & he went out of his way to check us out while we had stopped to let them all cross. I though we were going to lose the radiator & grill. Fortunately he went on without going beyond snorting & pawing.

Out west I wondered why there were such HUGE, HIGH surrounds at hay barns -- then locals explained winter & ravaging moose & elk. BIG animals.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have plenty of those too. Not (usually) dangerous, though a buck in rut can be interesting. Our moose population has taken a hit with the explosion in deer ticks the past few years. And we are overwhelmed with bears and small predators. Even the occasional wild hog! Oh and there are some elk nearby, think they escaped from the game reserve along with the wild hogs. Neither of those are supposed to live here!

My daughter is so excited to go hunting this fall. Archery season starts in September but we have to wait a while for rifle season.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you actually have to "go" hunting? Or can ya just walk out the back door and shoot something? Your DD still cracks me up lol! Get her a tiny little bow/arrow set and let her at 'em!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thank goodness, the only animals I have to worry about here are deer, foxes and mink! We don't even have wild snakes here.