NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
0924171451a.jpg
Well piggie has done a good job as a forest clearer! Almost time to move her to the next spot!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She sure has! I love having animals do the work for me. That's what pigs are made for!

Tonight DH watered the critters while I fed them- as he walks within maybe 20 feet of the goat pen I hear "holy s#&$ goat you stink!!!" lol!! Apparently he got downwind of Cliff for the first time. I've been smelling it for a while now, I don't think it's all that bad but we've never had a buck in rut here before. Hilarious reaction!

My tom turkey has finally found his gobble. He's full of it now. We have 3 baby roos (the others aren't as vocal), the big roo and the tom competing for air time. It's loud around here these days!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bet! Cliff is only 5 months old! He's almost as tall as my Nigie doe (she's pushing the height limit). I'm very happy with him. I might have to get my Nigie buck from the same woman (she has several lines). Peppy, Patty and Cliff are all from her and are all lovely critters. So hard to find good Nigies around here! I can't wait to see their babies in the spring. And I'm dying to milk again. Ah I have goat brain.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My life is 'goat brain'! I've been milking since March... thought I would stop when the oldsters came here...but I find that milking is good therapy!

I can't wait until you get to milk...want to see how it goes for you!

How long has it been since you had babies?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never had goat babies. I bought Lilly, my Nigie, in milk last year. That was my first time milking. I've had goats for maybe 4 years but never babies! I am excited/nervous. Lilly will be a third timer so she should be ok, but the sisters will be first timers so I'm a little nervous. They're built nice and wide though so should be ok. I hope for easy kiddings!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How did I not know that? You're gonna have a blast with babies...and your DD...she will be totally smitten!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I know, DD will love it! So let me say this here so you can hold me to it. I'm only keeping ONE baby! If Peppermint has a doeling she's staying. ONE! Lol

I will have goat babies, pig babies and human baby in the spring. It's gonna be nuts! Thank goodness DH has a flexible job!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL! I AM going to remind you that you are planning to only keep one! You definitely will have your hands full so it sounds like a good plan.

I don't even know if I'm going to have any babies in the spring - but it's highly likely that Chester will be successful in at least one or two instances. I really didn't want any more 'little' goats, so that will make it easier to decide to sell babies. (I know, I know - famous last words!)