NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is how my household functions...

Me to DH- are you sure it's ok if I get 2 more goats?

DH- it's cool. But now that you mention it I could kind of use a new gun...:D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Must be nice! DH is not so agreeable. To be fair he does ALL the chores when I'm not feeling well... which is most of the time. Bummer. I'm hoping to someday be well enough I can ALWAYS do my own barn chores. 'Cause then I can get whatever I want! :gig More goats, rabbits, a dog. DH draws the line at horses though.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey we have the same rule- DH will NOT have a horse. He would prefer no cows also, but seriously no horses. He grew up on a horse farm, he's very happy to have zero horses!

Normally I do all the chores. DH does the heavy lifting for now, I do the rest. I hope you're able to feel well enough to do your own chores too, and get more critters!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have 3 horses. Horses are a hole in your pocket you dump money in. I can't imagine myself without them.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband loves and respects horses.. But the money factor is the main issue.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, horse are money pits...except for mine, lol. I basically spend less money on my three mini's in a year than I spend on one goat! They stay fat on pasture and hay. I do their feet myself and worm them occasionally and give basic shots every few years. Easy peasy!

But, that's not usually the case...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those are my kind of horses! DH always says if you want to ride something, go with a snowmobile or 4 wheeler. You don't have to put gas in them when you're not using them. You have to throw money into a horse regardless! Lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I just got an email that the woman I got my minis from is needing to downsize and is offering me 2 50/50 registered mini alpine does, 2 and 3 years old, not related to my girls, for $300 for the pair

I don't know what goat prices are like here, never mind across the pond by you guys, but that sounds like a good deal!