NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought you had to have the tattoos, no?
This is the show folks that are doing it that way.

I know some places require livestock to have eartags or tattoos - especially if you're moving them - but we've never had an issue. Even crossing state lines I was never asked to show any identification. The most I ever had to do was wave a health certificate in someone's face - they never really 'checked' it.

Hope DD has a great B'day! (and hope ya'll get that pig done!)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh that makes sense.

I just realized I am going to have to deal with scrapies tags when I get sheep. Forgot about those darn things! I may have chosen a breed and I am possibly getting a registered trio from out of state- not this spring but the following spring. It would allow me to eventually sell to all the folks up here who need new bloodlines. Have to do a little more research and talk to the folks a bit but could be a good start.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! I made contact with a local Kiko breeder a couple days ago. Need to get serious about this pretty soon if I'm going to take that plunge.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh nice! That would be really cool. Have you asked about disbudding?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In my second email to her - yes I did. Haven't heard back from her yet. I guess if worse came to worse, I could buy a buck, use him for a season and re-sell or butcher and hope to get a buck kid out of him worth keeping. All very preliminary right now...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah yep, well maybe she'll do it if you prepay for him before disbudding. Some people do that with leaving dairy/pet goat horns on I've seen.

It's chilly today, about 47 and still pouring. Our well had gotten low, especially after processing last weekend. Looks great now, it's been pouring for days!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I mentioned that I could come and disbud one, or buy a bottle baby ... They are trying to cut down on their goats because they're moving. They've got good bloodlines and she sounds knowledgeable so I hope I can work something out with 'em. If not, there are other breeders...

So glad it's not raining here - even though I think we have a chance in the next day or so.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Clara my psycho dog looked out the window a little while ago... Hair stood up and she lost her little puppy mind barking! For once, she was right. My big pig was waltzing up the driveway, and stopped to eat the last pumpkin we have left out there to ripen. As I'm trying to figure out what on earth to do about the situation (I know I can get her in the pen but I can't fix fences in my current state!)... My husband pulls in. Best timing ever!

She didn't even mess up the fence. She physically broke her pallet hut and moved the sides off the base. This pig is STRONG!

We really need to get going on this barn!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dontcha just love (hate) a big strong pig, lol! I think once they figure out how strong they are - there's no turning back!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know! I'm afraid of how much she'll be doing this now. Although if she does it too much we'll hook up the electricity. She doesn't like electric fencing!

DH says we can do the other pig this weekend. Let's hope so. One less thing to do, one less critter to feed!