NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So I just found out I can get round bales delivered to my house for $40 and they're organic (not certified but I know the people's farming practices and they are). That would cut my hay cost by almost 75%!!!
That is AWESOME! I really like the big bales...unless you need to get one where you can't get one, lol. If that makes sense. I'd like to put one in the buck pen - but I don't have a gate large enough to get the tractor through. So, I just peel some off of a bale and put it in a really big hay rack that will hold several days worth.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We will have to peel some off to fill feeders, we don't have a tractor or a place to put them in pens under cover. But that's alright, I have to fill feeders every day anyway!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol not yet... Soon we will though. It's been snowing all day but a few days above 40 in the forecast this week. Heat wave you know!

DH is home this afternoon- I'm bugging him to go see if the deer are moving. I could go for some venison stew soon!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In this snow, light fluffy stuff with no wind, they tend to move around. Storms they tend to bed down. It's perfect right now because it's just barely enough snow for tracks to show up. He's getting dressed to go out now, before people get out of work and hit the woods!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No luck, but he hasn't been out there to see where they're moving either so now he has an idea where to look next time.

Rounded up all the stray chickens and cooped them up. Need to put up a better fence tomorrow if DH has time. Oh, except there was one hen who would not cooperate. I think I know where she roosts though so we'll go look for her after dinner.

Think we might hold off on the AGH's... Still looking to sell or butcher our pig, but DH was supposed to build a house this winter and that just fell through so he will likely go make snow part time and work with a friend part time. So we'll get heated water buckets for the goats and poultry, and free feeders and call it good, since I won't have as much help as hoped. It'll be good, and he'll be done at the skiway well before kidding season, when I'll really need help!