NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh darn! But, at least it was a good scouting expedition. Can't say that I blame ya for not getting new piggies right now when there's a farm close enough. Heated water buckets will help for sure. Will he be done at the skiway before human birthing season? Prolly not, huh, since you're gonna pop that little darlin' out on my b'day, lol. And, I figure ski season is still going on at the end of January! (not that I really have any idea, lol!)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He will not be done, but it's only a half hour away and he carries a walkie talkie. Plus they're flexible if he wants to take some time off when baby shows up.

Ski season goes through February, often well into March and occasionally into April. He works at a smaller skiway so they stop making snow usually in February. Depends on the weather.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crazy Tuesday again. DD had class today, they did some carding. And I learned how to knit, so I have some practicing to do!

DH went and paid for 2 round bales, which will be dropped off in the next few days. We should be able to get away with 3-4 of them, which will cost $120-160, as opposed to buying all square bales and spending $500. I will never buy square bales again, lol!

DH is working on a friend's truck so it can leave our yard, it's been there entirely too long.

Clara is doing better. Of course she keeps hurting herself because she's dumb and wants to play now. Sigh. Can't keep an alano down!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cool on knitting! I never did learn that but I was pretty good t crocheting until carpal tunnel entered my life. I could probably do a little at a time if I was ok with a project taking a couple years to finish, lol. I did enjoy it.

Woo Hoo - cheaper hay is never a bad thing. Getting extra trucks out of your yard is not a bad thing either, lol.

Clara :he Dogs that are so pain tolerant sure make it hard to get them to take time off to heal. Silly dog!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay! The truck is running and out of my yard! Now this dude really owes us, and I want my barn built now!

This week/weekend is barn building, meat bird butchering... Oh and we also have to make room for the hay before it shows up.

We will be ready for winter.... Uh.... Sometime...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol - baby steps! That's all I seem to manage around here lately...baby steps. But, at least those steps are in the right direction (most of the time, lol).

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol you are lucky though, you don't have 4+ months of frozen ground rushing you! Moving slowly in the right direction isn't the worst thing ever. I just wish we could move a little faster...

I also have an hour long nurse appointment Thursday... To learn about my new diet, how to test my sugar and all that. Ughhh

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol you are lucky though, you don't have 4+ months of frozen ground rushing you!
Dat's true, lol.

My only comparison is the months of mud that keeps us from accomplishing much....but as much as I hate the mud ...I'm sure it's a million times better than frozen ground!

Oh boy on the appointment Thursday... Forgive my ignorance in this situation - but do they generally recommend meds or just a diet/lifestyle change?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Diet for now, monitor my numbers and hope to avoid meds. They don't typically allow people with GD to go past their due dates so at least I know I won't be overdue! Small favors right.

I prefer frozen ground to mud, assuming our fences are secure and where they belong! I hate mud. We have a short but brutal mud season. Most years there are a few weeks we can't make it down our driveway without 4wd... Sometimes even with 4wd... I hate muddy animals, parasites, muddy boots, dirty floors from muddy dog paws... Ughhh bring on the snow!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gotta admit that a few really hard freezes - with or without mud and/or snow - would certainly help the parasite problems here.

Can't imagine needing 4-wd to get in my driveway. Don't know how ya do it!