NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I see her every week so we've chatted a couple of times. I want to have lamb to eat, in addition to harvesting goat wethers. So that's why I haven't really considered fiber goats. We are doing a farm visit in the spring to her farm. I don't want her breed of sheep, they're larger than what I want. But she's been able to actually show me fiber from a couple of sheep breeds, which is cool!

FEM, that's crazy! Maybe Brewster did him in after all! I wish I had seen it, I got there right after it happened so I'll probably never know!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Stupid birds indeed. Sorry you lost him. I'm no good to talk sheep, I only had a few and I can't tell you what breed they were, probably crosses :hide The one we butchered was delicious though!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eh I kind of don't care we lost him, bad to say I know. But it's too cold to butcher him and we didn't need an extra (non-laying) mouth to feed all winter. It's just really weird he was fine and then dead 2 minutes later. I've also learned Brewster likes having his own flock and I'll let him keep it lol!!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This reminds me of a hen we lost in a freak accident some years ago. I think I tossed a treat into the pen and she ran along with the rest of them, slap into the corner of the coop. Broke her neck.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They can sure come up with some ingenious ways to kill themselves, huh?
Or get themselves into trouble. I've had mine tangled in discarded fly strips, hung on fences by their toes, two chicks I had to fish out of an old septic tank :sick The moment you hang halfway into an old outside privy with a handful of chick food as a bribe, making kissy noises and saying in the sweetest possible voice "Come HERE you little sh**s!" while trying not to breathe, you got to ask yourself…

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I did love those little poop bags very much!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eeew I don't think I would do that either! The worst was my poor duck that got herself stuck in the electric fence and was repeatedly zapped to death. Poor thing. She was my favorite too!