NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I've learned to calm down a little haha. I used to get mad when my plan didn't work out. Now I can (usually) accept it. My husband can't stand to have a "normal" routine. He would rather work 60 hour weeks with crazy random hours than go to a 9-5. I've learned to deal with that. I just had to reschedule getting our new tom because he has to stay at work later than we thought. And I'm not mad. Haha baby steps!

I haven't told him about the new buckling plan. Hey I have until May or June to save up for them, I can make that happen!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Crazy, unscheduled things is the way of the farm life.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I have all my seeds organized by when they need to be started, and I have a few things I forgot to order, kale and herbs mostly. Since I won't be having goat kids or milking this year I am going all out on the garden. Way less fun than baby goats! But at least I am getting my new bucklings so I have some babies in my life!

I am not a very good gardener so I'll be reading a lot in the next two months! And I am going to learn to can this year too.

This is also our first year of raising only heritage birds, so no more Cornish X or BB turkeys! Exciting for me!

Right now there's not much happening except planning, it's cold and gross out. February is the hardest month here, and it's coming soon. It's usually cold and snowy and I've had enough of winter. March is usually still cold and snowy too, but at least it's on the uphill swing.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Organized? What is this word? I should look it up! :lol: I wish I had time to organize.... Sheesh. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to retirement! I've got too many irons in the fire!

Canning is no big deal after you've done it the first time. It's more scary thinking about it than actually doing it. Biggest thing for me is ....what's that word again(?) getting organized before I start. I just hope the garden is good enough that I can get some things to can/dehydrate/freeze or EAT!

Hope the weather gets better for ya!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Heritage birds grow slow but this is a plus because they start laying later and they don't have the leg and heart problems that can crop up with the fast growing hybrids. That said I really want some Dixie Rainbows. They are suppose to grow faster, bigger and lay better and sooner than heritage. They are also able to reproduce same qualities in young that most hybrids cannot. The 4H this year grew Cinnamon Queens (a sex link breed). They are laying machines and look to be as big as my production reds (if not bigger). We are tempted to get some since so many are selling theirs.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've always had heritage birds too but this is the first year we aren't doing both. We are primarily focusing on Dominiques and Dorkings, with a few other random egg layers in there. And DH ordered some Dark Cornish to try to breed in for meatier birds. I don't feel very self sufficient ordering from a hatchery every year, particularly ordering birds that only exist due to test tubes. So that's ending now! We also have Chocolate and Black Spanish/Blue Slate cross turkeys.

FEM I am a little OCD about organizing, if I don't organize ahead of time I forget things. Which is why I have pea and watermelon seeds left over from last year. I forgot to plant them until it was too late! I also have a super ADHD husband so I have to know ahead of time if I expect any help lol.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't find or remember where the original post was, but I believe @sumi you recommended reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I just finished it, I loved it! I don't even want to bring it back to the library. I think I might have to buy a copy! Now, on to my next Michael Pollan book...