NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol! Not to be morbid, but I think when my grandfather passes my mother will inherit his seasonal camper (the thing is huge), so my DH and I were talking about installing electric hookups and all that and having it trucked down (if we move) for my parents. My mother is a bit smothery, and guilt trippy, but unfortunately it works and actually makes me feel guilty! I wish it didn't.

If we move, we are aiming to get a smaller than ideal place for now. It would allow us to ditch the mortgage and pay off my student loans (I HATE THEM!) and be totally debt free on 5-10 years. Then do some property improvements, sell and get something with more land. That's the current plan, depending on what's there and what our house sells for. Staying in NH is not only bad for homesteading, it's also so expensive I'll never get out of debt without giving up the way we want to raise our daughter.

Bleh sorry my head is spinning!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the camper might be a good solution! I've already told my son that if DH passes before me that I'm gonna park a camper in his driveway and live there! He just smiles when I say it....or is that really a grimace? :lol:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's the way to go. Separate little place to live while still being close enough for daily interaction. Mom has said that if Dad goes before her, she wants us to build her a little one room granny shack. They are pretty common around here.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely! She has a little bit of a habit of playing parent with my kid (grr) so some space is good. It'll be fine when she's older. Right now I'm battling the sugar battle. And the let her do whatever she wants battle. My mom says because she's the grandparent she gets to spoil her. I say, since you live next door and see her 3-4 days a week, you lose the right to spoil her. Because it becomes her life, being spoiled.

Grr anyway, that had nothing to do with anything! My favorite is when my daughter tells my mom how to butcher a chicken, pig, etc. She is HORRIFIED!

That would be the problem with us living that close to each other. She can't handle the butchering. She also thinks the pigs smell horrific. She LOVES the goats but I can't wait to see how she loves when the bucks go into rut this fall!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well someone I have been talking to really wants my wether as a pet but is working on getting a pen together and getting a buddy for him... So against my better judgement I told her I'll hold him. As I'm modifying the ad, someone emails me and asks about both the goats I have for sale.:thBut she wants the doe bred. I'm like... Don't you think she would be bred if I had a buck? And also, the ad said my wether is a wether because he failed as my herd sire, and I have no buck.... Nice reading skills lady. I hate Craigslist. Anyway I want the doe to go, but the wether isn't bothering me so holding him won't kill me.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The wether is not a buck because he has some genetic.. Thing, I don't know, he is tiny. But healthy, the vet says, and negative for CAE and all that. He doesn't eat very much. But the doe is a b**** and feed hog.so she needs to go! Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is it like, terrible to butcher a mean, poor producing doe? Lol, I have had no one interested in her. And frankly I'm afraid she's going to bust someone's rib. I could sell her for slaughter but I don't want her to live out the last of her days being carted around and put down in who knows what way. Sigh.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
it's not terrible at all. I have felt the same way at times. I don't want to sell anyone a problem - but I also don't want her to go suffer and live a terrible life being terrified and abused.

I'd havest her...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know if DH will do it. He has a thing about butchering animals we didn't get with the intention of butchering. But he is super irritated with her behavior, and he really wants to know what goat tastes like... We'll see.

Ahh farming can be so hard sometimes!