NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finishing the syrup today, I think this is the last of it for the year! It's cold! One of my mini alpines was acting like a kid today, bouncing around the pen and trying to get everyone going. Only my wether would play, the other girls were looking at her like she was nuts. It's too cold for that! Lol

My husband admitted to me yesterday he's not totally convinced he can butcher a goat. He can do any other animal, he says, but goats are too cute and personable! Uh oh, we're going to have some issues with goat math!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope you get lots of yummy syrup!

I'm that way with goats too...it's hard and that's probably why we haven't butchered many. For me - once the "deed" is done it's just like butchering anything else. But, it sure is hard to pull that trigger....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It makes me happy I didn't get that pygmy buck! That was the entire point, to have kids with more meat on them! He might get over it, but we'll see...

I think he dislikes dispatching anything, but doesn't mind the rest. Which I think is ok.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm that way with rabbits....cuteness factor. Now, if I was in a situation of "eat or die", would do what I needed but, not yet.:\

Actually, hate to butcher my hens...mean roo, no problem!!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a hard time killing the rabbits when I raised them but I did it. That's the reason I finally quit but now with the price of meat and all the nasty things you hear about the big production barns and plants I want my family to eat healthier. I really am trying to get some cages and do it again. DH said he would kill them if I would clean them but I really doubt he could, lol. I know I can because I have!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We raise all the meat we eat, it just doesn't include rabbits. I have considered it a few times, but I will not raise them in cages if I do. My husband raised meat and fiber rabbits when he was a kid so he knows the drill even though I don't know much, other than having a few pet rabbits in the past!

Today was the last of the really cold days, if the forecast is to be trusted. Spring will happen... Someday!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They just seem like a pain to raise. Chickens are much easier! I'm a big fan if pork, if I could only eat one meat it would be pork.

Latest posts