NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sun's out, sap's running! Happy first day of spring (even if there are feet of snow on the ground!)

I'm going to stop using my BYH journal and just use this one.

You all still want me to get pictures when we butcher our pig? It'll be in the next few weeks, hopefully.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a great day! Does that mean you get to tap trees and make syrup? And, yes please on the pictures! I'm hoping my pigger is ready for pick up in a few days. Can't wait to taste that AGH meat (if I feel like eating by then...)

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep! Well taps stayed in but it's flowing and we are going to start boiling as soon as DH and his friend get back from the piggie grain run this afternoon.

I am anxious to hear how your pork is! I'll try to get pics, might not get any of the skinning part but will get plenty of the cutting up part, since I help with that. We don't do all the standard cuts because we do a lot of sausage but I'll get what I can!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just looked at the calendar and realized I need to start planning! My turkeys need to start laying NOW because I need their eggs in the incubator like yesterday. They need to hatch in April to be butchered in October. Then as soon as they're out, I put in chicken eggs. So they'll be ready to butcher in October. I also need to start seeds around April 1st.

I decided to keep my little wether and just get a buckling. The wether will live with him until next spring when I get another buck (hopefully a southern buck!), as he is little and I don't want him to have to endure a second rut with a buck. Should be ok this year though.

Anyone have a recommendation for grow lights for starting seeds? Preferably a relatively cheap one?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sure there are some full spectrum type lights that might be perfect for seed starting, but I've never bought special grow lights. I just use the 4 foot regular "garage" type fluorescent lights - but I make sure they're mere inches above the plants. Also, I utilize a window. The window isn't that instrumental cuz it's a west facing window, but every little bit helps. Maybe try a garden center and see if they have something...?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmm I might just get some shop lights. The specific garden lights I saw in my brief search were not cheap!

This year my husband will be working more normal hours than he did last year so he can help me get a really nice garden going! He grew up on a farm so other than ruminants, which he never had, he knows the drill. He's a much better gardener than me!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Btw- big day today. I opened a window!:lol: For the first time in months, I turned the heat off and opened a window! (not for very long, it got cold after a few hours since it was only 45)

See what you Texas folks are missing? Have you ever been so excited to open a window?