NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's funny, with all the things you are comfortable doing, that's the one that bothers you?
It is crazy, lol. I've infused does by placing a pipette through the cervix and into the uterus, I've replaced rectal prolapses, I've stomach tubed kids, and assisted with C-sections - but I'm worried I'll choke 'em! I might just have to pick a sacrificial goat and try it...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ha! Use Chester, he eats all your garden anyway lol

So... Dude messed up and the boar is actually 8. Which is mildly annoying but boars can breed into their teens if they're well taken care of so no huge deal (his grand-sire is still breeding). Especially considering what else I learned. He's kinda famous in the AGH world. Like, people are looking for his offspring. So he's old but he's darn good foundation stock. Haven't been able to look up the sow yet though.

They're so funny, they're grazing. They aren't rooting the heck out of their pen. It's so funny!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ahhh, Chester is too cute to sacrifice, lol! I think I'll use that evil Nigi yearling. :hide

As long as the AGH's have good graze - they will graze! I have very few areas in my pasture that have been rooted. However, if I lock them in a pen - they definitely root.

That's great that your Stanley is famous!! Maybe that'll make their offspring more sale-able. Wouldn't that be something?!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you made an even better deal than you thought! If Stanley is such a super hog, you might get him another girlfriend?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right now they're in a pen until DH can run electric, so they'll probably till it for us!

Once we get their registrations transferred and become members of the registry, I can look at finding him another girlfriend. The AGH world is small. They actually calculate percentage of inbreeding because they're all somewhat inbred.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is in love with his pigs. Yeah, they're his apparently. I walked by their house this morning talking, they kept sleeping. My husband talked and they flew out the front door grunting, and ran over for their pats. Real nice guys, they seem to forget he's the one who stuffed them in the trailer!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband talked and they flew out the front door grunting, and ran over for their pats. Real nice guys, they seem to forget he's the one who stuffed them in the trailer!

Ahhhhhh - that's so sweet! They really do have personalities - real personalities. How big is Stanley?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think he's 250 easy when he's at ideal weight but he's a little thin. I think the guy was struggling to take care of them with his accident.

I had a crazy chicken lady issue this week. Holy crap she wanted me to buy doms, and I forgot to message her back for like one day (you know, because FB isn't my entire life) and she flipped out on me! I told her she's insane and I don't need drama over chickens. It was crazy!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crazy chicken lady can go jump in a lake! Man, some people take this stuff way too seriously!

Does Stanley have tusks? My boar is only a couple years old and he's got some really cool tusks! I know some people trim 'em, but YIKES!