NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geeze, that just sucks! The Cydectin really should do the job for ya. The girls are still gaining weight though, right?

Triple purpose sheep don't sound too bad at all, lol.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They have not gained weight since I weighed them last. I am concerned that they will not be able to keep parasites at bay in the future with the stress of kidding. I am seriously considering my options :(

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I can't offer anything but a :hugs I hope they will get better for you soon!

How are the DD's doing? Little one must be getting big now.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They're good! DD2 wants to crawl, she scoots on her belly everywhere!

I'm trying out some lamb tomorrow to see how we feel about raising sheep. Any recipes? Probably do a stew, not sure what else or what cuts she'll even have available. I have a short list of 3 sheep breeds, I am leaning towards two and thinking I'll probably aim for a few of each. Pending taste tests! :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They have not gained weight since I weighed them last. I am concerned that they will not be able to keep parasites at bay in the future with the stress of kidding. I am seriously considering my options :(

Uh oh.... hopefully the Cydectin will kick parasite a$$! I know how much you wanted the GG's, so I hope that dream doesn't totally fizzle. (but sheep might be fun too, lol)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They're good! DD2 wants to crawl, she scoots on her belly everywhere!

I'm trying out some lamb tomorrow to see how we feel about raising sheep. Any recipes? Probably do a stew, not sure what else or what cuts she'll even have available. I have a short list of 3 sheep breeds, I am leaning towards two and thinking I'll probably aim for a few of each. Pending taste tests! :)

A few years ago I found myself the (as always impulsive, therefor woefully unprepared) owner of 5 sheep. Best friend's dad needed money and asked if I'd buy them and being me I said sure! They are lovely animals, escape artists sometimes, but not as bad as goats, will do fine on not-great grazing and they taste amazing if you can get yourself to eat them. Which we did about 4 years later, when I once again impulsively bought a sheep lol This one went to slaughter camp and it was hands down the best meat I ever tasted.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
To be honest, I've read enough about BP worm to know that if I keep and breed these goats I'll likely have this battle every year. And Gidget has horrid hooves that are not getting better with corrective trimming. I'm honestly leaning towards getting out of goats for now. I should have known better than to get so invested in these goats, because the way she was keeping them, I should have walked away. I mean they're all disease free (CAE, CL) and they looked healthy but it looked like several years worth of deep litter and over grazing happening.

So I think I'm done. Milking isn't fun with little kids anyway. I'll keep a few as pets. And get some hardy sheep. Once I talked to DH and he agreed, I felt much better that this is my likely conclusion. And I'll maybe breed again in the future. Ah well. Life changes huh?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You've gotta do what's right for you and your family. So bummed for you. But I'm excited about you getting sheep too. I'll betcha DD1 will be thrilled to get her own fiber source!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not as sad as I thought I would be.. If I had more land and money I'd just keep 'em all, lol! I adore Clifford but, Nigie bucks are mostly all friendly. I just put him in with Patty, I'll breed her and keep a doe (if she has one) to be her companion. That way if I get a buck again in the future I've got two does hanging out ready to breed! And they can live with sheep if I bolus them, so that'll work fine.

Yes she'll be thrilled to have fiber. And I can get raw cow milk down the road for fairly cheap until I decide to milk again. I am sure I will have dairy goats again, but it's not their time!

Latest posts