NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Average is 120ish, their dam was 150ish. They're nearly Patty sized, she'll be the little one in the barn! I'm so glad I kept her, she's just so sweet.

No, no winter! Just fall please! It'll be nice to fit in my snowpants this year though, lol!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh sweet, the neighbor needs some welding done on his truck... So he's gonna let us use his tractor in return. We need to fix the driveway and move the chicken coop before winter. Now we can! And maybe move DD's play structure and sand box while we're at it.... We'll see...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - I didn't think they were that big. They ought to be able to put out a good amount of milk for ya.

Yay on the tractor time. Hopefully you can get everything done you need to get done while you have access to it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I believe the GG's overseas are smaller. But the ones here (which may actually be called British Guernseys... Confusing, so I actually just call them Guernseys now) have been bred up to higher percentage Guernsey by using Saanens, Alpines and Toggs. So they're larger, but I think they're trying to get the size back down. Guernseys usually give about a gallon a day, and it's super creamy and higher butterfat... We will find out. In like two years, boo!

Yeah the best part is the welding he needs DH to do is the muffler on his dump truck that has been driving us crazy forever, lol! DH said he would have fixed it just for some quiet!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our effortless manure pile garden is giving us crazy pumpkins! And gords, tomatoes and zucchini. And our actual intentional tomato bed is going crazy too. I'm thrilled!

It's hot, in the 90's until later in the week. Ugh! Starting school with DD1 this week. DH is sorta looking for a new job. He built a winter pig hut this weekend, have one more to make and then we'll think about where the heck we're going to put their winter fence. Hmm.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ur effortless manure pile garden is giving us crazy pumpkins! And gords, tomatoes and zucchini. And our actual intentional tomato bed is going crazy too. I'm thrilled!
That's fantastic!

Is DD1 excited about starting school? She's so stinkin' smart - and I betcha she enjoys learning. At least most stuff?

Did ya'll get to use the tractor yet?

I haven't started thinking about winter except for needing to get some more round bales. My friend has promised me three more from their place. That'll give me 6 rounds and I've got almost 50 squares.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She's smart and she loves learning. But she does not love doing things just because someone tells her to. So I must be creative. She would not survive public school. So we're starting slow.

No Tractor time yet. DH didn't get much time to work on the guy's truck. We were busy this weekend. DD1 got to swim, we went for a boat ride, had a campfire and she got to shoot the. 22. Fun, fun!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love good trades and y'all got a good trade. Winter pig huts and fence.... will the snow pack let them walk over the fence?

Latest posts