NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yup, me too. Total strangers will tell me their life story.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is true it is entertaining! I am more standoffish so no one talks to me, lol. Not intentional, I'm just not a big talker.

Looked through the Murray McMurray catalog today and there was nothing we had to have. Good, I don't want chicks!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't need chicks this season either. My coop is MAXED OUT, and I'd actually like to be wintering less birds. But, I'm not gonna cull good birds. Have 1 or 2 that could go due to attitude, and one that could go due to subluxed cloacae. But, not crazy about butchering right now, and all 3 are laying.

Won't stand in the way of a broody or two this spring, and hope to be able to sell the extras. Incubators have been mothballed.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my neighbors (the lady that used to care for mom and dad) has someone who wants to give her 7 roosters to butcher. I told her I have some I need to do too so we're going to hope for a sunny weekend day and take care of all of them. Yay?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My last butchering session, completed in 2 days back to back was done in my laundry room sink. The water was actually hot enough to complete the scald there. I placed a dollar store plastic dish drainer upside down in the sink to keep the bird out of the water in the sink. Washed the bird before scalding, all the blood straight down the drain. Easiest butchering job I've ever done. I made a cone out of a wood pellet bag stapled to the right dimension, with a hole cut in the bottom corner. When done, I just tossed the bag, and will make a new one next time I need one. Had never used a cone before. Easiest set up and clean up ever. However, I am notoriously slow at processing chickens.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Won't stand in the way of a broody or two this spring, and hope to be able to sell the extras. Incubators have been mothballed.

Me, too. Have a few "older" gals who usually brood, great moms, big hens, hoping the do this again this year.

I'll let broodies do their job too . Butcher the roos , keep the hens. I could use more chickens, just don't want to deal with heat lamps and all that.

EXACTLY !! In fact, I do want/need some young hens (I sell eggs) & a few roos make good chicken salad, etc. I will add a few bought chicks. I'm hoping to get the setting hens to take them as their hatch. :idunno This year, 2 hens ended with one chick each, early Fall.:rolleyes: They are both pullets :love Previous 2 singles were chicken salad makers.