NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Jeep is fixed, and the last of the pork is in the freezer. Goat shots got bumped to tomorrow, it poured most of the day. Also need to take the egg turner out of the incubator and hope for turkeys!!

We are debating whether we should bother hatching chickens this year. Most of our hens are related to our roo and we don't feel like separating to collect specific eggs and all that. And we are trying to simplify, so we might not bother. We'll have turkeys, hopefully, and they should make up for the lack of chickens if we don't have many from our straight run to butcher.I also still have 9 cornish x in the freezer from last year! DH wants to butcher the other 2 pigs before they get too huge and not have pigs again until we move, or at least until next spring. We have a hard time processing huge pigs at home. I would enjoy a pig break, plus I think it would help sell the house if we put it on the market!

I convinced him we should reduce our pork needs and eat more poultry and vegetarian meals (riiiight on the meatless meals!), and he agreed we could downsize and raise 2 pigs a year and sell one. We will also have goat meat next year.

We were at the point of raising our own food, but copying what we ate from the grocery store. Now we are slowly changing our eating habits to eat more sustainably, healthily and frugally. It's a process!

Oh side note. Today I found a box of cards from our wedding in my mom's attic and it had an unused $50 Kohls gift card in it. This made my frugal mind's day! No expiration date, so what's 7 years?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL - that's awesome on the $50 SCORE!

DH and I try to eat meatless at least one night a week. Thankfully, he loves salads and soups so it's not too hard. We do need to eat more fish and that's something I don't grow, lol. Maybe I should drop a line in the pond and see if I get a bite, lol. Not sure how many fish are in there - but there are TONS of bullfrogs!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is not a salad fan. I mean he likes salad, but as a side to meat!

I am not a huge fan of fish. But I keep trying different kinds, hoping I'll find one I like. My husband does love fishing.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Score on the gift card! That was a nice find :)

What are you guys' plans with regards to selling up and moving, or are you still undecided? I noticed you said "if" you put the house on the market.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am just a non-committal type person, lol. We want to move, but we have a lot to do here first and I know DH does things at his own (slow) pace. So I'm not sure when we will get everything done that needs to be done. He is finally coming around to clean out, downsize mode, which is nice.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not really a salmon fan but I'll bookmark it in case I ever get brave! Lol! I wish I liked fish more, I don't live that far from the seacoast and we have a million nice lakes and ponds nearby.

All of my seedlings have emerged except with the exception of our peppers. They were old seeds so won't be surprised if nothing happens. I have serious issues growing peppers here anyway.

Another rainy day. Tomorrow will be sunny and 65 so I'm leaving outside chores until then!

Latest posts