NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eh it's trying. My husband helped it a little (I know, I know, you're not supposed to but I would rather try and have it die than listen to it suffocate in the shell). It's still alive as of yet but hasn't made it out all the way yet.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whoa another one is trying to break out. It has gotten much farther along than the first one! I told DH if we end up with only one hatching (that happened last year), it's a darn good thing TSC still has chicks because I'll need to get it some friends!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugggghhhh, hate it one you end up with one lone chick! I'm another one who helps chicks...some good results, some bad. But, I'm like you - I'd rather know that I tried than to jut let it die without even trying. Is it shrink wrapped?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, he is almost out. The other one is doing well getting through the shell. They chirp when I talk to them, haha.

Just organized the freezer. I have enough space for another pig in there!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woohoo - go turkeys!

I wish I had room for another pig in my freezer, lol. I've barely got room to put any milk in there right now.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well #1 is out. I don't know if he/she will make it with how long it took, but we're hoping. Our incubator will not keep humidity high enough, we've learned. So we'll work on that for next time. Turkeys are difficult!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The first little turkey is my new best friend, lol. He perks up when I talk to him and stops chirping and listens when we talk. So cute! Second one still working on getting out. DH will help him/her in the morning if need be. I think the humidity not being high enough is making their shells harder to get through.