NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Occasionally I find them for $3 but farm fresh eggs are in demand here so not usually. It's funny they're in demand because I feel like everyone has a chicken coop in their backyard...

You could use a freeze to kill some parasites, don't plant yet! Lol I won't be planting much until late May or early June. Maybe I'll get some early stuff in before then.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We definitely need a hard freeze or two - despite how much I don't want it. Planting now is definitely taking a chance...but I'll only put in cool hardy stuff that I can cover with a bunch of hay and a sheet if, by some miracle, we get some cold weather!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The lovely Democrats in NH are trying to pass a bill that a dog, any dog, (so LGD's included) can be outside for more than 15 minutes without their owner if the temp is below 32 or above 90. And a half hour between those temps. Regardless of having shelter. What?? Nut cases...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seriously considering getting started pullets instead of chicks. They're cheap (comparably) at my feed store. I just want eggs, I don't even care what breed. Heck I could buy started pullets every couple years and stew pot or dog food them when they slow down... hmm I'll have to think about it... or I might not bother... I'm feeling not super motivated right now🤣 I found a cheaper local egg source so he might just get my business!

We've had a couple health things in our families, that is making me re-evaluate our diets. My father died of a heart attack this fall, my uncle had emergency heart surgery this winter, my father and aunt had/have polycystic kidney disease, DH's bio dad (he's adopted) died suddenly (we don't know why), and DD1 has intermittent high blood pressure and no one can tell if it's anxiety or something more. Phew... when I write it all out I get stressed out 🤣 but, I'm working on getting more plants and fish in our diet...

I HATE salmon, anyone have a recipe that makes it tolerable? Lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I support local pig breeders by buying feeder pigs from them. I called a Hereford Hog breeder today, but she doesn't have any due until April. I am on the hunt!

Sometimes I think I would want to raise hogs, then I think about it and tell myself no.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I'm going to get the ram, hopefully next weekend! Waiting for pics. I'm actually only going to put 2 ewes in with him for now. My oldest ewe is still thin from raising twin lambs last year so I'm giving her more time to gain and hopefully we'll get spring lambs next year from her. If not she's a lovely fiber pet! And I'll keep another with her just to keep her company.

I've been having stomach issues. Trying to narrow down what food(s) seem to be the issue. I suspect dairy but there are other possibilities. Last night my stomach hurt so badly, it was awful. So definitely going to try dairy free for a while and see if that's what's going on.