NH Homesteader's journal

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do not consider Va due to the gun rights situation and the way the northeast corner with DC and all the idiots are over running every decent common sense person here in the more rural parts. Been here for nearly 40 years and I have never been so angry or frustrated over what they are pulling. It will be a very tense and difficult day on the 20th with the rally that VCDL had planned and now there are all sorts of other anti-gun groups coming..... it seems that finally all the non-voting ones who are in support of gun rights will get out and vote in the next election.... and hopefully we will win back some common sense seats.... but there are too many moving in here that have money, and the time, and then want it to be like where they came from but with the cheaper costs.
NC , on the western side in the more mountainous area is nice as is Tn.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They've tried to pass all kinds of gun laws here but fortunately we have a very pro 2A governor who is getting really good at using his veto powers! The second the Democrats win the governor's job we will be in trouble. DH really doesn't want to leave so I doubt we ever will. Sigh. We need to find a place with some fields then cause I want more sheep!

Nothing new here really... got my seeds, waiting for spring... trying to decide if we are going to do a bee hive this year or take our time building and just get 2 going for next year. I need a ram this year, my favorite ewe will be too old to breed if I wait another year and I want to keep a baby from her. Her fleece is gorgeous and her personality is even better. We're going to get like 5-6 hens for eggs. No roo and one little coop. I've lost my taste for poultry and pork, and we're watching our fat and sodium intake so beef is limited. And DD2 is lactose intolerant. So fish and eggs are my main protein source and I'm sick of paying $4/dozen for eggs from local farmers.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy geeze - I need to go up on egg prices! I haven't sold any for awhile, but I usually charge $2.50. I did order some seeds the other day but they're not here yet. Probably a good thing cuz when they get here I'll want to plant 'em. And, I'm fairly certain that despite our temperate weather lately - we'll get a late, hard freeze that would wipe put anything I plant.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Occasionally I find them for $3 but farm fresh eggs are in demand here so not usually. It's funny they're in demand because I feel like everyone has a chicken coop in their backyard...

You could use a freeze to kill some parasites, don't plant yet! Lol I won't be planting much until late May or early June. Maybe I'll get some early stuff in before then.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We definitely need a hard freeze or two - despite how much I don't want it. Planting now is definitely taking a chance...but I'll only put in cool hardy stuff that I can cover with a bunch of hay and a sheet if, by some miracle, we get some cold weather!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The lovely Democrats in NH are trying to pass a bill that a dog, any dog, (so LGD's included) can be outside for more than 15 minutes without their owner if the temp is below 32 or above 90. And a half hour between those temps. Regardless of having shelter. What?? Nut cases...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That dog law is worse than our gun laws. LOL

VA gun stuff doesn't bother me. I don't use the attack type guns they are pinpointing, or the large clips, so no issue.

BUT an LGD that I had to sit with?? Nope. Or, just an old farm dog. I am NOT keeping in inside.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It'll never pass, fortunately. But they're pushing the animal rights agenda a bit far these days... I think they should have to go drag a working dog inside in the winter and then see if they still think it's a good idea. Not a whole lot of farmer support here these days...

It's been a weird winter. Warm, not a ton of snow. The snowmobile trails are awful, they're just dirt. It hasn't even been cold enough to make snow all that much. Glad DH doesn't do that anymore!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seriously considering getting started pullets instead of chicks. They're cheap (comparably) at my feed store. I just want eggs, I don't even care what breed. Heck I could buy started pullets every couple years and stew pot or dog food them when they slow down... hmm I'll have to think about it... or I might not bother... I'm feeling not super motivated right now🤣 I found a cheaper local egg source so he might just get my business!

We've had a couple health things in our families, that is making me re-evaluate our diets. My father died of a heart attack this fall, my uncle had emergency heart surgery this winter, my father and aunt had/have polycystic kidney disease, DH's bio dad (he's adopted) died suddenly (we don't know why), and DD1 has intermittent high blood pressure and no one can tell if it's anxiety or something more. Phew... when I write it all out I get stressed out 🤣 but, I'm working on getting more plants and fish in our diet...

I HATE salmon, anyone have a recipe that makes it tolerable? Lol

Latest posts