NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
want to get away from pre-mixed feeds because you don't really know what's in them
I agree - just can't do it now. Too many stooped goats, lol! But, I do have good pasture/browse so they get the chance to balance themselves as much as possible.

When I showed my pygmies barley was a big part of their feed. Not sure why it agrees with goats so well, but it does. Problem with a lot of grains is that they're just not very high in protein. Doesn't matter so much in a wether, dry doe or non-breeding season for bucks. But for pregnancy/milk production ya gotta have protein. Alfalfa and Calf Manna (even though it's a pellet) is good to raise the protein level.

There's a lot of conflicting info out there for sure. When you get it figured out - lemme know! :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That would be awesome to see! I have a friend who gets oats in bulk for his horses so I was thinking of getting some from him. I know the calcium/phosphorus ratio of them is wacky but alfalfa pellets should balance that out, and I already feed them plenty of those.

The turkeys are doing great! The one with the neck issue is doing much better! He's smaller than the others and a little awkward in his stance but straightening out more.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oops typing at the same time. BOSS is also higher protein.

My concern is copper... Would I need to bolus them if they didn't have added copper in their feed?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I really don't mind bolusing. I have a small enough herd I can do more work! Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep that's what I use also. I haven't bolused before. My vet, who I otherwise love, insists that if I give a free choice mineral my goats can't be deficient. Sigh. They also are typically cheap price wise, but they said it would cost me $85 to do a mineral analysis on one goat!! I need to learn to draw blood. I have a suspicion of zinc deficiency on my Nigie. But I am not prepared to pay $125 (with office visit fee) to find out.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/zinc.php has some ideas for zinc. Maybe grow more veggies high in zinc for animal feed. Squash, pumpkin seeds, spinach, beans, mushrooms? At least at least a couple should be possible. Some people believe that squash and pumpkin seeds make a good natural wormer. I am planting some this year for my chickens (eventually).

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well we now have 2 broody turkey hens sitting side by side, lol. It's my oldest hen and her daughter from 2 years ago. Now we need to separate the tom and other hen so I'm bugging DH to help me with that asap so we don't have a repeat massacre like last year. Just going to make a hoop coop so it should be fairly simple. The biggest problem is the panels are part of our current pig fence...