NH Homesteader's journal

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep. You can always feed excess veggoes tp the gpats & chickens. Seems you will have plenty of those :D and they do need to be fed.:hide Just sayin.........

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You guys are not helpful! My husband works full time (he's wicked busy in the summer), I'm going to have a 5 year old who I homeschool (I prefer a year round schedule) and a baby, 2 active dogs, up to 5 does in milk and assorted baby goats plus goodness knows how much poultry to take care of... I'm doing a little garden! Lol!

I am growing the favorites and the easy to grow- beans grow great in my terrible soil, I'm growing lettuce and kale, carrots, tomatoes, winter squash, pumpkins (in the old pig pen), hebs... A couple other things that I don't remember right now. Oh amd DD insists we grow watermelon but it doesn't grow well here. I'll try though, she's pretty serious about her watermelon!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pick a watermelon that matures as early as possible. Baker Creek has one called Golden Midget that says 70 days to maturity. You could start seeds inside.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That might work. I want to avoid starting seeds (we have a really good organic/heirloom selection at a local place so I'll buy tomato plants there). I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of seed catalogues. So is DD! She loves them!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is nuts. He got up at 5, is spending the day putting on a roof at one job, coming home for dinner, then going to work overnight at the mountain (they do take naps there) then if the roof isn't done, he'll be back at that job at 7am. So, I'm making him blueberry muffins and packing him tons of food, lol. And cooking a turkey, squash and stuffing for dinner.

And I did 4 loads of laundry, and cleaned all day. Now DD and I are making Christmas cards. I didn't get much done yesterday but I'm moving today! No, it's not nesting. I hate that term, lol. I'm just having a more motivated than normal day haha

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You HAVE been motivated today, lol! Your DH is total go-getter! That's awesome...and he does deserve some goodies! I stayed home today and I've been trying to get a few things accomplished...key word - trying!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH apparently does not have to work tomorrow. He's working for someone he's never worked for before. They do not work past 3 and they do not work on weekends. Uh... I hope they ask him to help out a lot more cause that works for me!

It also works for me because this weekend is the last time in the 10 day forecast it will be warm enough to butcher a pig.... So.... I'm trying! Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here comes the snow- an inch so far but coming down fast. And you know how amazing it was to feed the goats inside a barn while it snowed outside??? Yeah, it was awesome! And my dogs are beyond excited, they're hilarious in the snow.