NH Homesteader's journal

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I used to hate-hate-hate salmon, but I eat it a couple time per week now. I make homemade mayo with avocado oil and spoon it over thawed salmon fillet. Bake 400 degrees 15 minutes. I serve mine on salad (spinach, spring mix, power greens, etc), hubby turns his into a sandwich.

I had DNA testing done that made sense out of my family history. Now I know exactly what I need to do to prevent the diseases I'm most prone to. Expensive test, but costs less than dealing with a severe medical issue later.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like salmon with salad also. But, I like salmon! One of the best recipes I had for it was on the grill with a citrus topping. Can't remember the recipe exactly but I'm sure there are plenty similar ones on line. I like salmon patties too made with canned salmon. I think I just like food, lol.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I HATE salmon, anyone have a recipe that makes it tolerable? Lol

NO help here. I can only stomach occasional tuna...and with enough "stuff" in the mix to kill the fish taste. I don't do fish. I like most any other seafood though.

I just sat down and thought about chickens... and remembered everything I hate about chickens... and I'm cool with buying eggs now😝

Fantastic decision!! :lol: Factor in fed costs & they're cheap.

Well, sorry about all the family health issues but, you may not be looking at disaster. Yes, what we eat does matter but you may not be genetically predisposed. There's a lot of heart issues on both sides of my family. So far I have no problems, never have & so I just don't worry about it. I do eat well, never smoked, no drugs being taken, etc. Life seems good. My stats have always been good.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, doesn't necessarily mean anything but eating better won't hurt!

Yep, feed costs, more frozen water buckets, the days you don't get eggs, chicken poop.... I'm all set 🤣

I did email the woman I got most of my sheep from about a ram... she's going go get back to me with what she'll have. I don't really want a ram but I want to breed all 4 of my ewes so it'll be cheaper than paying stud fees. And if he's a jerk we'll eat him!

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband doesn't like salmon either. I made up a recipe that he likes. I pan sear salmon filets in a skillet, in butter, cook until done. I use a lot of fresh squeezed lemon on the filets. I put the filets on a plate and pour some heavy cream in the skillet, maybe a little more butter, and heat it up. I add a little parmesean cheese, then pour it over the salmon filets.

@frustratedearthmother I love fried salmon patties too!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well we have piglets due in a month, in theory. I can't tell yet if she's pregnant. We love this sow but she's got this one last chance before she goes on the cull list. Shes got weak pasterns, crushed half of her litter last year and breeds unreliably. She's also the sweetest pig in the world and a great mother once they get past the crushing stage. I asked DH to get a good look at the gilt we saved from her last litter to see if we should keep her. I don't know why... he's not nearly as good at evaluating structure as me so I need to go look at her myself lol. I wanted to butcher her but she's on a temporary reprieve to evaluate her lol.

Waiting to hear back about the ram but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get him! Yay babies!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's so hard to cull one that you just love! I have one right now, Sweet Pea, that will probably NEVER go on the cull list - no matter what! I have noticed that one of my sows gets low in the pasterns when she's heavy pregnant. I think if they're real close to kidding... uh... foaling.. uh FARROWING that everything gets soft and loose - like ligament and tendons and stuff. Maybe that's Charlotte's excuse?

Give Charlotte's daughter a good look for sure. She might be a keeper. Can't wait to see pics of your new ram! (when you get him, lol)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish that was the case, but she's like that when she's not pregnant too😫

I haven't heard about the ram yet, but they do have 5 kids so... they're a little busy, lol. I'm hoping to get lined up to get him next weekend if possible. I'd like to get him working!