nice smelling fabric softner recipe?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been searching for awhile to find a good one. Haven't come across any that I liked. So, instead, I think I'm going to use fleece squares, soak them in cheap liquid fabric softener, gently wring out, let them dry, then use them like the fabric sheets. If you dry them before using (air dry), you're supposed to be able to use them quite a few times before resoaking them. Just make a couple of squares so that you can always have them. It should cut the cost way down, IMO, plus it will definately give you lots of softening boost. Of course, this only works if you're using a dryer...

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
well, i made it. Not so easy to do if your familiar with chemistry ;) and I will say it works Ok, just ok. And doesnt really do much if your line drying. But I will use up what I have left.
I will note something I did find this good for. My dog was mysteriously paralyzed a couple weeks ago and after a couple nights at the vets she came home and is still regaining bladder control. Putting a cup of this solution in the wash water really helped freshen up her blankets and I washed them daily so maybe this would work better for odors in the wash than static in the dryer.

Nostahl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
havnt read the entire thread to know if its been suggested yet but... the best way to get your clothes smelling great is on a line outside, go ahead and make a flower garden in the area it will really help

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nostahl said:
havnt read the entire thread to know if its been suggested yet but... the best way to get your clothes smelling great is on a line outside, go ahead and make a flower garden in the area it will really help
yes i agree I hang out all my laundry expect jeans and underware but I cant do it in the winter time

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm, I know how to make a lanolin wash, and my understanding is that originally fabric softener was made from lanolin and at some point they started using petrolium based oils. If you're looking for dryer sheets you can use a lanolin rinse (with your fave EO) on fleece squares...not sure how to go about doing a liquid for the washer, might gum up the works in the cold rinse.