NO Fridge...could you do it?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Living without a Fridge

Its hard to imagine life without a fridge, yet people easily manage without one all over the world. Our society is used to modern comforts such as a fridge, but with a little imagination you will soon realise that a fridge is not necessary for modern living, and you will barely notice it has gone.

Living without a fridge will save you money on electricity bills and reduce your carbon footprint.

How to Get by Without a Fridge

Before electricity was invented, households used cold cellars and pantries to store their food in. Food shopping was done on a more regular basis, and a lot of food was grown in the household, meaning it could often be kept in the soil until it was needed, or stored in clamps (ditches dug into the ground and lined with straw and soil to preserve root vegetables such as carrots). Being self-sufficient will enable you to adopt similar principles. By growing your own fruit and vegetables, you will have less need for a fridge. If you buy, or catch your own meat, you may want to look into methods of preserving it, for example, salting, curing or smoking it.

Plan your meals dont dig up more plants than you need, and only buy enough meat from the butcher for one or two meals. In the winter, you can store a lot of food outside to preserve it, however in the summer you will need to be diligent in order not to waste food.

Food Checklist

Follow these simple rules to ensure your food is always eaten and not wasted:

Use meat and dairy products on the same day you purchase them
Keep eggs in a clean, dry cupboard
Store vegetables in the ground where they grew, in clamps, or in the pantry for up to a week
Fruit may be stored in a fruit bowl and eaten by passers-by
Store potatoes in hessian sacks in a cool, dark place where they wont get green spots
An abundance of food can be turned into chutneys and jams to preserve them

During the hot summer months you can use an old polystyrene box and fill it with ice, to keep dairy products cool for up to 24 hours. Make sure you keep the box in your pantry, which should be cool and dark.

The Transition from Fridge to Pantry

To keep you motivated the following points should help you remember why you are doing without your fridge:

Food consumed at body temperature is better for you than cold food
Pantries do not need cleaning and defrosting in the same way as fridges
Doing without a fridge will ensure you eat fresh food, which is better for you

By living without a fridge you will be more in touch with the food you eat. You will be much healthier as a result of eating fresher food, and you are less likely to waste food if you do not have a fridge to store it in (you will not buy it in the first place).

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have a friend who lives off grid and uses two ice chests for her food that must be refrigerated (meats, dairy). She raises her own chickens and rabbits for meat and eggs.

A small unheated trailer (like you would use for hunting) can be used to keep meat in during winter, providing you live in a cold enough climate.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I would find it extremely difficult to do even though I know it is done in other places of the world. I would put freezers in the same vein as refrigerators and we have two freezers that are full.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to live without a fridge many years ago. It was for one winter. I put the few cold items I had out on the porch in the snow. That was before children.

A few years ago our fridge broke and we had to wait for parts for 2 -3 weeks. I just used coolers so as not to waste the food I had. I could do it again if I had to but I would keep much less that needs to be refridgerated

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I never liked when the power went out and you had to worry about stuff going bad in the frig.
BUT, if you think about it. Open your frig and see what REALLY HAS to be refrigerated without going bad.

Does juice really have to? fruit? condiments?
Going through my frig I can't find much outside of milk, cheese and a few packages of yeast that absolutely needs to be refrigerated (since I am out of deli meat at the moment)

I know that if need be you can use powdered milk (yuck) or if you have livestock, just go out and milk when you can use it.
Keep the rest on ice.
Eggs and butter are not refrigerated in almost any other country but ours.
Why do we think so much of our food has to be refrigerated?
It might extend the shelf life of something but will it actually go bad before you eat it anyway.
Now your veggies might be a little wilty if you don't refrigerate them, but will they really go bad?
I am assuming we really could live without a frig if need be, an icebox would do it and you would have to eat more fresh produce, which is a great thing.

Now a freezer??? I don't see how you are going to keep icecream from melting even on ice, but I guess people who don't have a freezer really probably do not care if they ever have ice cream since they probably have bigger problems.
Then again, there are the people that choose to do this like someone said and they find a way around that.
So I guess I could do without a frig for me and even the family, but the freezer I don't know about.
The family eats meat which I store in the freezer, but like I said about produce, I guess you just eat more fresh meat or find more creative ways to store it.
Canning, dehydrating and root cellaring would probably help to work around some of this too.
I guess its kind of like when we go camping but on a bigger scale, you would have to get creative.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
196_crf320ss_dt2.jpg
[/img]

I would get a small one like this before I did ice chests. Being in the south that would not work well for me. Small window to put anything outside....cause our temps go from 65 to 30, then up to 55 again in a heartbeat. Not reliable to leave outside for me.

Ice is now almost $2 per bag here. Ice would be super expensive....for coolers I would need at least 1 bag per every 2 days.....that would be like 180 days of ice.....over $300 dollars for me. Without a freezer how could I make ice..HA HA HA

BUT I think when my fridge does pass away, I will go alot smaller than larger. The new side by sides etc. are monsters. I know I don't need something that big...so I will go definitely smaller when mine craps out and I need to replace. And keep a small chest freezer too......I am sure the smaller the appliance the cheaper the cost to run if a new energy saver model.

I don't know...just thinking ahead to downgrade and start to be more conscious of what do I really need to live...a monster fridge or just an ordinary smaller size to get by.

I think the United Kingdom every time I watch a show of theirs, they own the midget fridges. Almost no one I see on tv in the UK has big fridges.....hmm...any one else notice that...LOL-LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Been there and done that! When we moved to our homestead when I was young, we had an ice chest for a few items but mostly did not need it. We had two springs in which we stored our cow's milk. We built a cellar from pine poles that first year, but built a better one later on. We lived that way through the end of summer, winter and, in early summer, we purchased an old Servell refridgerator~they ran on propane. This fridge we kept for the remaining 9 years on the homestead. It was not very large.

The fridge I have now must be from the UK! :p Tiny and so old it crumbles when I clean it, has no shelves on the door any more and the freezer is not frost free and ices over in record time.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I am a wimp! I love my fridge!! We store stuff for what seems like forever somtimes!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Mine only has eggs(which could be stored in my cellar), jugs of cold water, fruit, salad vegetables, ketchup, Miracle Whip, hot pepper butter, yeast and a jar of jam. Yep, I think I could conceivably do without a fridge, if needed! :p

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
During winter here I used to always have my chest freezer in the garage, and never plugged it in during winter. It was great. When I was really young and didn't have a fridge I used to hang my freezables out the window of the upper floor in grocery bags, and the things that I just wanted refridgerated was kept between the double hung panes. That worked well too:>)